Zebrasoma flavescens SKINNY

Zhark17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

My adult yellow tang looks skinny, colour and behaviour just normal.

It eats fine. I feed him with a variety of food few times a day and havent seen stringy poop. My other fish are getting fat cause im feeding more than normal.

Any ideas?? Cheers!
IMG_20211024_124456.jpg
IMG_20211024_124446.jpg

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks malnourished indeed. What exact foods are you feeding and are you seeing it eat them ? Is it getting bullied?

OP
OP
Zhark17

Zhark17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks malnourished indeed. What exact foods are you feeding and are you seeing it eat them ? Is it getting bullied?
I feed him with spirulina flakes ON, nori, Dki, hikari marine, formula two ON... I dont think this is the problem, and yes, it eats fine.

Is it getting bullied?
What do you mean? I have an hepatus which is dominant, but they look fine, wont fight or anything like that.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish aquacultured or wild caught? Did you QT with praziquantel and metronidazole? If you are indeed feeding it enough then it probably has a chronic illness or infection.

im not sure what “ON” means but you need to be feeding frozen mysis, consider rods or LRS foods. High quality frozen food a must. If those foods are frozen then consider treating in QT tank for worms. Prazi is considered reef safe.
How is the hippo looking? Got pic?

OP
OP
Zhark17

Zhark17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish aquacultured or wild caught? Did you QT with praziquantel and metronidazole? If you are indeed feeding it enough then it probably has a chronic illness or infection.
I have him almost 2 years, it s wild cought, and I didnt QT.
im not sure what “ON” means
Ocean nutrition LOL.
be feeding frozen mysis, consider rods or LRS foods. High quality frozen food a must. If those foods are frozen then consider treating in QT tank for worms. Prazi is considered reef safe.
How is the hippo looking? Got pic?
I feed frozen food as well once a week.
I thought about worms, but I havent seen any strange poop or something, the rest of fish look just fine.

Ill try with Prazi, what about metronidazol?

Dory pic coming...

OP
OP
Zhark17

Zhark17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20211024_142737.jpg
    IMG_20211024_142737.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
Zhark17

Zhark17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't hang anything except feed 1-2 times a day and all mine are fat. What I think is going on here is something internal, bacteria or worm.
yeah, It looks something like that :(

Hope he can make it, he is like a little dog, it eats out of my hand. :p

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have him almost 2 years, it s wild cought, and I didnt QT.

Ocean nutrition LOL.

I feed frozen food as well once a week.
I thought about worms, but I havent seen any strange poop or something, the rest of fish look just fine.

Ill try with Prazi, what about metronidazol?

Dory pic coming...

I would feed it frozen food, mysids, etc., daily to bulk it up. Even if it is an internal parasite, the extra food will compensate for that. My worry is that it just isn't getting enough food. That said, the picture of the hepatus you just posted (while I'm typing this!) looks fine.

As others have said, prazipro is generally reef safe, and will help with certain internal parasites' (but not nematodes, protozoans or bacteria).

The fish could have a chronic condition, like Mycobacteria, and that isn't treatable. I'm not leaning that way, in the absence of other symptoms.

Jay Hemdal

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to feed frozen many times daily to fatten it up, also try praziquantel. You’re not feeding it enough quality frozen foods.

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, It looks something like that :(

Hope he can make it, he is like a little dog, it eats out of my hand. :p
I’d try mixing it’s food with focus and general cure and feed twice a day for 14 days (parasite treatment). Won’t affect your other fish but will also prophylactically treat them for parasites as well. I usually do 1 scoop focus and 2 scoops of general cure mixed in 1 tablespoon full of thawed frozen food. Keep it refrigerated. You can also add some Selcon or other vitamin you’d prefer for fish.

OP
OP
Zhark17

Zhark17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d try mixing it’s food with focus and general cure and feed twice a day for 14 days (parasite treatment). Won’t affect your other fish but will also prophylactically treat them for parasites as well. I usually do 1 scoop focus and 2 scoops of general cure mixed in 1 tablespoon full of thawed frozen food. Keep it refrigerated. You can also add some Selcon or other vitamin you’d prefer for fish.
Ill do that, thanks!! Fingers crossed

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS fish frenzy is one of the highest calorie frozen foods on the market. I’ve had excellent success fattening fish with it - they devour it.

Highly recommend that food over others.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back