Zeospur2 and Spongespower - Woe!

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been kind of interested in the Zeovit products, not looking to go full Zeo but just wanted to try dosing a few of their products. So I picked up a bottle of Zeospur2 and Spongepower the other day. I had heard really great things about them.

I was fairly skeptical.

So I dosed Zeospur 2 and Spongepower to my reef yesterday evening. I dosed according to their exact instructions.

I came home from work late tonight, I couldn't believe my eyes. Several of my corals looked completely different.

I have a large green/teal stag, it had been VERY browned out. I recently moved into my new 150g so I attribute the move/stress to the browning. Tonight though this coral has lost all the brown pigmentation. In fact, any browning has been sucked out of all of my corals. It's a night/day difference on some of them.

I actually think the dosing was too much, some corals have lightened much farther than I would like! Next time I will dose half of much Zeospur 2. The claim of the product is controlled zoox reduction among other things.

Now for the Spongepower, one of the claims is increased growth tip and growth tip color. I noticed that some of my corals had super deep-blue / purple and almost black tips, I've never seen anything like this. It looks especially neat on my Rommels watermellon, parts of the coral have almost purple/black tips. Not sure if that is good or bad LOL.

Honestly I'm floored, I wasn't expecting much of a change at all.

So...if you have browned out corals try the Zeospur2. It works!!!

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I may have to give this a try myself. A lot of my corals are coloring up really fast, but I'm always down for better coloration achieved at an even faster rate lol. I'm interested to hear your results after a solid couple of weeks of dosing. Do you think it's something that you will employ regularly? How often does the manufacturer recommend that yous should be dosing?

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Be careful with both of those products. Zeo always puts the MAXIMUM allowable dosage on the bottles. You should always start with 1/4 to 1/2 of what they recommend. I have been using Spongepower for about a year with good results but it will not be a miracle worker for all. It can raise nutrients in a heartbeat and cause a pretty nasty cyano outbreak if overdosed. Trust me...lol

Zeospur is, by far, the most radical of the Zeo elements. Even full Zeo heads do not always use it. I can't recall exactly how it works but it has a huge reaction with the corals. Some have experienced complete tank RTN after using it. It's not something that should be tossed into a tank to cure the crown coral problem. I understand that it worked well for you Logzor and that is great. But recommending this as a cure to brown SPS (which a LOT of people have) is the not the quick fix. Just be careful with these and I would recommend heading to the Zeo forum and doing some heavy reading before using ZeoSpur. It's not something to use without really knowing what you are putting in your tank. And I would never recommend using the recommended dosage on the bottle if you're not running full Zeo (or even if you are).

I know that Ricky (RickyRooz) is running full Zeo - hopefully he will chime in and will give us some insight to exactly what ZeoSpur2 does to the SPS. But PLEASE folks, do not run out and buy ZeoSpur and start dosing your tanks. And I would only recommend using Spongepower with a ULNS.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a brown coral over night is now colored??? Sounds like hog wash bro no offense.... Maybe they had algae covering them???

Not exactly the case. My browned out coral still had hints of the bright green, but it was overwhelmed by brown. Today there is not more color, just less brown. So the green stands out a lot more.

Craig, wish I had done more in-depth research on the Zeo products. I am not completely happy with how some of my corals look after dosing. I wish I had dosed MUCH less. Some of my corals look much more pale than I am comfortable with.

I just hope everything does ok in the next day or two. Just to be safe I'm not going to dose anything for a week, at least.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that it worked out well Logzor. The folks who have gotten into trouble with the ZS2 have run into it quickly. Complete tank crash overnight. I need to find the writeup I read over on the Zeo forum. I bought a bottle of it a few years ago, then did some reading. After I read about it, I sold it (unopened). It drives me crazy that Zeo puts the maximum dosage on their bottles. I don't understand the reasoning.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing Coral snow 2x weekly, Pohl's xtra 2 drops a day, and Coral vitalizer 1 drop daily. The coral snow is excellent, it's really working my skimmer, I've been getting some really dark skimmate. I also bought two brown acro frags from the lfs and within a week they both colored up nicely. Don't know if the zeo products have any contribution, but I like what I see thus far.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that it worked out well Logzor. The folks who have gotten into trouble with the ZS2 have run into it quickly. Complete tank crash overnight. I need to find the writeup I read over on the Zeo forum. I bought a bottle of it a few years ago, then did some reading. After I read about it, I sold it (unopened). It drives me crazy that Zeo puts the maximum dosage on their bottles. I don't understand the reasoning.

Yeah I'll keep a close eye on things. I only have 2-3 corals that were majorly affected by the lightening in color. The vast majority of my corals look more or less the same. A handful are showing the dark tips, only on the newest growth.

I hope that I won't have any RTN problems. I figure that would have happened by now.

I suspect that RTN would occur if someone is already running GFO and ULNS. Just too many whammies. I discontinued my GFO and Carbon about a month ago and I have been feeding much more heavily.

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any chalices? If so, how has it affected their colors? I dont think anybody knows how this stuff works besides killing zoo algae but thats only one factor in the coloration of corals

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any chalices? If so, how has it affected their colors? I dont think anybody knows how this stuff works besides killing zoo algae but thats only one factor in the coloration of corals

I have one small very plain chalice in my system. I didn't notice any changes to it or any other LPS.

As of yesterday evening (past the 48 hour mark, which is the peak / end of the effect on corals) my corals all looked pretty much the same as they did the day before.

I am feeding heavily and will carefully obverse the impact over the coming weeks.

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the heads up. i've always wanted to try zeo but I'm not sure whether they test their products only in zeo ulns tanks or in other types as well to get the same results. sticks colored up like candy is appealing though especially when you have stubborn brown acros that just wont color up.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the heads up. i've always wanted to try zeo but I'm not sure whether they test their products only in zeo ulns tanks or in other types as well to get the same results. sticks colored up like candy is appealing though especially when you have stubborn brown acros that just wont color up.

Yes it was very effective at removing the brown coloration, it worked overnight, whatever is in this stuff it is very potent. I plan on using 1/4 as much next time I dose.

The next step will simply be observation. I am looking forward to seeing if this coral will gain more color or simply turn to brown. Right now it is extremely pale with hints of very bright green. it should be very dense bright green color.

Luisra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not, a friend uses Zeospur2 to dip brown aquacultured corals before putting them in his tank. I do want to try Spongespower and Stylo-Poci-Glow.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not, a friend uses Zeospur2 to dip brown aquacultured corals before putting them in his tank. I do want to try Spongespower and Stylo-Poci-Glow.

Now that I have used zeospur2 I am not surprised that it would be an excellent product to use for dipping brown corals.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am not sure if Spongpower caused it. But all of the newest growth tips on my corals turned deep purple / nearly black. It's kind of neat looking, actually. Healthy for the coral? I am not sure.

Craig have you experienced this with Spongepower?

Last edited:

Frink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was an early adopter of Zeo when it first hit the States. I still use some of the products. ZeoSpur 2 was the only one I would consider risky. I bleached several montipora species with the recommended dose, M.Caps do not like it. Never had a bad reaction from acros. The product B -Balance is supposed to give similar results to Zeospur but it does not work over night and is less likely to cause problems.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was an early adopter of Zeo when it first hit the States. I still use some of the products. ZeoSpur 2 was the only one I would consider risky. I bleached several montipora species with the recommended dose, M.Caps do not like it. Never had a bad reaction from acros. The product B -Balance is supposed to give similar results to Zeospur but it does not work over night and is less likely to cause problems.

Do you know which of their products will darken/enrich the color of my corals?

Which do you still use and why? What dosage do you use?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back