OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ycnibrc, I would defiantly say your tanks strayed from a true zeo tank but it’s awesome none the less. Don’t you only dose two zeo products or do you use more?

I would love to see anyone’s tanks that are doing the true zeo method and running a uln system with the pastel look. Ignore the comment about it being ugly, there are people here who can appreciate the work that goes into these tanks and the look as well.
I chose zeovit because of their reefing philosophy. They are the first who base their system on mimic sea water parameters. Corals DNA has been engineer to thrive in sea water for millions of year. I do have certain Corals give me the pastel look but the over all are darker than hardcore unls zeovit tank. Hopefully some other will post the hardcore pastel one.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair I have seen OP post about skimmers mentioning BOTH of those benefits.

I take it you’re in disagreement and believe a skimmer is necessary?

Well if you are certain that you can export the bacteria in some form or another and never end up dosing excess .
That’s why often people running zeovit tanks tend to run wet skim to make sure that excess bacteria is properly exported .
Bacterial driven method works great but only when you realize their potential to the full extent and have export mechanisms in place . Without that you will be asking for some serious trouble if you end up with excess bacteria .

But yeah - I am just a newbie and have never run zeovit so take my advice with a grain of salt - I would never run a bacterial driven system without a skimmer .

But just like the OP mentioned above - coral DNA hasn’t changed so has bacteria and they have adapted to multiply in matter of hours with high source of food availability .

Regards,
Abhishek

Last edited:

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people really do prefer the ultra light pastel look, Zeo tanks aren’t too common nowadays, and I’ve seen pastel-y tanks that are that way because of a natural ULNS system. They feed correctly for their system, maintain good water quality and achieve the zeo look.

anthony’s modded Zeo formula is working for him, so I appreciate his tank and results for what they are. His corals look great and healthy to me.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do have some pastel Coral
617D3D63-CBCF-4C02-8FF0-E56B82F133BA.jpeg
7C31D3AC-47E6-4EC0-9041-4D56DE8ED4DC.jpeg
9FB96019-44C7-4AA4-B286-41ECDDBB62D5.jpeg
F4274592-5301-4119-800A-1906A974485C.jpeg
2DEE3F81-E34C-475B-9B0E-6E5681A18464.jpeg
966DF4D8-E26F-40B8-BB19-1AABBFC0FCDD.jpeg

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ycnibrc what do you dose if you’re not doing the full system? Do you use the rocks/reactor or just dose?
The first year I only dose the bacteria source zeobak , zeostart3 and sponge power. The last 1.5 years is full zeovit.
Coral vitalizer , amino for food
B balance, pohl extra , zeospur2 for color enhancement
Flatworm stop , Coral snow plus for health n clarity. I just recently dose acroglow so no review yet. Zeolite rock is using but not at full dose.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t really call those corals a zeo pastel look. They do look great, especially the rainbow stag that’s growing tight branches! I want a piece of that so bad. I lost my piece that looked similar.
To achieve the zeo look ime you have to have low nutrients. Most greens shine more like yellows and blues are light and bright along with most of the other colors. This way of running a tank has seemed to fall off the grid since a few years ago. I have seen some pics of nice Aquaforest tanks but they don’t compare to a true zeo tank.
I am curious as to how your corals react to zeospur2 when you dose it since you have lots of nutrients. I would imagine you would not get the full effect and that’s not really something you can play around with the dosage much right? I am also curious as to what benefits you see from each supplement. I have only seen them work well with low nutrients. Please let us know what you see from the acro glow after a while of using it too!
I would be suprised but truest pleased if anyone on this board shares pictures of their pastel zeo tank. These days with the high nutrient fads no one likes the look and using these methods is almost taboo because it’s so “dangerous”.
It’s almost like any subject that comes up where someone needs help and they say they have low nutrients it’s automatically the cause of whatever problem is happening. Followed by everyone’s experience of their mishaps with gfo or carbon dosing or whatnot.
I wonder if reefers across the pond are promoting high nutrients as well these days?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn’t really call those corals a zeo pastel look. They do look great, especially the rainbow stag that’s growing tight branches! I want a piece of that so bad. I lost my piece that looked similar.
To achieve the zeo look ime you have to have low nutrients. Most greens shine more like yellows and blues are light and bright along with most of the other colors. This way of running a tank has seemed to fall off the grid since a few years ago. I have seen some pics of nice Aquaforest tanks but they don’t compare to a true zeo tank.
I am curious as to how your corals react to zeospur2 when you dose it since you have lots of nutrients. I would imagine you would not get the full effect and that’s not really something you can play around with the dosage much right? I am also curious as to what benefits you see from each supplement. I have only seen them work well with low nutrients. Please let us know what you see from the acro glow after a while of using it too!
I would be suprised but truest pleased if anyone on this board shares pictures of their pastel zeo tank. These days with the high nutrient fads no one likes the look and using these methods is almost taboo because it’s so “dangerous”.
It’s almost like any subject that comes up where someone needs help and they say they have low nutrients it’s automatically the cause of whatever problem is happening. Followed by everyone’s experience of their mishaps with gfo or carbon dosing or whatnot.
I wonder if reefers across the pond are promoting high nutrients as well these days?
Zeospur2 will give the Coral white body because it extract some zoozanthalee the effect look like the Pearl berry frag and the violet in the sky purple with Pearl white look. Zeovit Pastel look are build for Australia Corals but if u have Indo then the richer color look better. I like my color to look like Trystof tank

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps lighting could also have something to do with pastel colors. Heavy blue tanks likely even in low nutrients will appear with deeper saturation. I would imagine if Anthony ran heavier white, we might just see those pastels. I wouldn't change a thing :)

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Perhaps lighting could also have something to do with pastel colors. Heavy blue tanks likely even in low nutrients will appear with deeper saturation. I would imagine if Anthony ran heavier white, we might just see those pastels. I wouldn't change a thing :)
You are correct most zeovit tank use t5 and the look of t5 is more uniform not high contrast like led

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the efflo not too many reefer keeping it.
Wish I still had a piece or backed it up, this one I have never seen again, yellow base, sky blue leading edge. Obviously in Zeovit tank, but still close to its original color when purchased. I could only imagine what a frag of that would be these days, lol. I want to mention that back then, 2006, maricultured, and wilds were considered difficult to keep, they did very well for me in Zeovit tank, which mimic NSW, makes sense ;)

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct most zeovit tank use t5 and the look of t5 is more uniform not high contrast like led
Lol,
Try MH 10k was recommended on Zeovit user guide back in 2006. Can you imagine how your tank would appear under this lighting, most certainly your colors would be lighter, and more pastel. Zeovit brought me close with my 70 gallon, but my 120 on Aquaforest yielded more saturated tones, with a version of that metallic/electric hues. Both systems worked well for me. I would not change a thing about your tank, your colors remind me of Aquaforest tones, likely due to higher nutrients and lighting. Have you followed Joseph Chi's Aquaforest tank? He actually hybrids between both companies products, or at least did. Ditched FB, so don't see all these people's tanks anymore :( Krztopf is a legend, Sonny, Andrew(Reef In sky), Damian(Aquaforest), You, Joseph Chi, and on and on. Zeovits TOQ(3rd Q, 2007), Don Miller sold me several corals in the day, turned me on to t5, specifically Coral+, and Fiji purple. He guided me personally on Zeovit. I miss our hobby for what is was back then. Don made me promise, when he gave me his CARX system to always have a PIF(pay it forward) attitude. Oh... I digress :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back