OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picked the Starter Package and a bottle of Sponge Power during the BRS sale. I been reading a lot on Zeo, created a spreadsheets to track dosing but have to deal with dino or diatoms first. If everything goes well in a month or two might start dosing. Tank is a small IM20 gallon.
Just calculate the net total volume and adjust your dosage. Its harder to dose small tank volume with the drop but u can adjust the day. Example 1 drop per 25g per week for your tank you can do 1 drop per 10 days.

jcdeboe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there
I would like to start a thread for zeovit reef tank owner come to share their tank. It doesn't matter where you are from I would love to see your tank. And for those non zeovit user it's a chance to see a side of different approach to reef keeping.
I would like to thank everyone who share their tank and show case the beauty of zeovit reef tank.
This is awesome!! Finally! I am starting the cycle on my 300 gallon and I am going Zeovit. I am very excited about this! Do you know of anyone who runs UV for a few hours on Zeovit? I know it’s frowned upon but I’ve heard of people doing it. Thanks!

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To all zeovit reefer I'm avocate R2R to give us a sub forum in the Sps forum for zeovit. It will be much better that we can get our own forum for posting anything and everything related to zeovit. I have a few zeo experts and they are joining me to contribute to add more experty

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is awesome!! Finally! I am starting the cycle on my 300 gallon and I am going Zeovit. I am very excited about this! Do you know of anyone who runs UV for a few hours on Zeovit? I know it’s frowned upon but I’ve heard of people doing it. Thanks!
I run UV 24/7. It just to help getting clearer water and less algae. The UV won't be big enough to kill off bacteria.

jcdeboe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run UV 24/7. It just to help getting clearer water and less algae. The UV won't be big enough to kill off bacteria.
Wow!! Okay. Thanks so much. They say that it will. I love UV and was worried. I’ll give it a shot. I’m running a 57 watt Pentair UV. Thanks for the info and thanks for stating this thread!!

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started it so no experience if it does anything but I have my uv on in sump 24/7. I slowed it down some but I'm leaving it on. Also anybody dose all this stuff with skimmer on. Or turn off skimmer for 1.5 hours for dosing

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started it so no experience if it does anything but I have my uv on in sump 24/7. I slowed it down some but I'm leaving it on. Also anybody dose all this stuff with skimmer on. Or turn off skimmer for 1.5 hours for dosing
I dose directly to the main tank and never turn anything off.

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all zeovit reefer I'm avocate R2R to give us a sub forum in the Sps forum for zeovit. It will be much better that we can get our own forum for posting anything and everything related to zeovit. I have a few zeo experts and they are joining me to contribute to add more experty
This would be awesome! Are they considering it?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit late to this thread, and only skimmed thru it, but I thought I would share my experiences and opinions. I look at the Zeo system as 2 parts:

1) Zeolite: a system to provide a bacteria for food and for the nitrogen cycle.
2) Zeovit additives: nutrients for corals (and other inverts).

I started using Zeovit additives over 15 years ago. At the time, I was relatively new with SPS. I had a frag tank behind my 500 gal tank up on a platform where I had to climb 2 steps to see inside it. I was going thru a busy time when I started Zeo additives (Coral Booster, AA, Sponge power, Pohls Xtra, all mixed in Snow) and just reached up and dropped in additives without even looking into the tank. After 3 weeks, I climbed up and looked inside. To my amazement, I saw colors I never saw before. Most of the frags were initially brown and now I was seeing purples, blues, greens, reds and orange! I've been using Zeo additives since. (I soon added, KIF, B-Bal, K-Bal, Fe, Macro, zeozyme, and, rarely, Spur). When Biomate came out much later, I tried it but didn't see any benefit so no longer use it. I haven't tried Coral Booster (and probably won't).

Excited about my discovery of Zeovit additives, I then bought 2 zeolite reactors and used them for several years until the pumps split and couldn't be replaced (because they were discontinued). My opinion about the zeolite is that it is just one of the many ways of providing bacteria for coral food and for the nitrogen cycle.....but there are much easier ways.....simply, a good collection of live rock. I know, nowadays, that is hard to find. I would suggest a 50:50 mix (to get a good biodiversity) of KP rock (to get Fl. keys/Atlantic bacterial diversity; nice shaped rock; but little else) and 50% Gulf Rock (LiveRockNReef; plain-looking shape but loaded with life).
I didn't see any difference of any kind before, during or after using zeolite.

I am still a huge proponent of the Zeovit additives though. However, I wonder what would happen if I stop them. The hobby, equipment, and my knowledge has advanced so much in the past 15-20 years that maybe the reason I saw such a dramatic improvement back then was because so many parameters were "off" and the zeovit additives "counteracted" them. Maybe the additives aren't necessary any longer with all the advances/improvements that have come along.....but I probably won't try stopping them! :)

I use only a fraction of the recommended Zeovit dosages because I also use Triton 4-part and most of the Triton elements (extrapolated from ongoing ICP results), and Acropower. I also use ICP tests to try to gauge Zeovit dosages. I am seriously considering doing ICP tests on many of their products (in RO/DI). It drives me crazy that the ingredients aren't listed (on products other than AA, KIF, Fe). Years ago it didn't matter as much....but now, with the ability to get more precise with ICP testing, it is more necessary for KZ to reveal their ingredients. It is almost making me want to abandon them.

And yes, you have my vote for a Zeovit forum.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a bit late to this thread, and only skimmed thru it, but I thought I would share my experiences and opinions. I look at the Zeo system as 2 parts:

1) Zeolite: a system to provide a bacteria for food and for the nitrogen cycle.
2) Zeovit additives: nutrients for corals (and other inverts).

I started using Zeovit additives over 15 years ago. At the time, I was relatively new with SPS. I had a frag tank behind my 500 gal tank up on a platform where I had to climb 2 steps to see inside it. I was going thru a busy time when I started Zeo additives (Coral Booster, AA, Sponge power, Pohls Xtra, all mixed in Snow) and just reached up and dropped in additives without even looking into the tank. After 3 weeks, I climbed up and looked inside. To my amazement, I saw colors I never saw before. Most of the frags were initially brown and now I was seeing purples, blues, greens, reds and orange! I've been using Zeo additives since. (I soon added, KIF, B-Bal, K-Bal, Fe, Macro, zeozyme, and, rarely, Spur). When Biomate came out much later, I tried it but didn't see any benefit so no longer use it. I haven't tried Coral Booster (and probably won't).

Excited about my discovery of Zeovit additives, I then bought 2 zeolite reactors and used them for several years until the pumps split and couldn't be replaced (because they were discontinued). My opinion about the zeolite is that it is just one of the many ways of providing bacteria for coral food and for the nitrogen cycle.....but there are much easier ways.....simply, a good collection of live rock. I know, nowadays, that is hard to find. I would suggest a 50:50 mix (to get a good biodiversity) of KP rock (to get Fl. keys/Atlantic bacterial diversity; nice shaped rock; but little else) and 50% Gulf Rock (LiveRockNReef; plain-looking shape but loaded with life).
I didn't see any difference of any kind before, during or after using zeolite.

I am still a huge proponent of the Zeovit additives though. However, I wonder what would happen if I stop them. The hobby, equipment, and my knowledge has advanced so much in the past 15-20 years that maybe the reason I saw such a dramatic improvement back then was because so many parameters were "off" and the zeovit additives "counteracted" them. Maybe the additives aren't necessary any longer with all the advances/improvements that have come along.....but I probably won't try stopping them! :)

I use only a fraction of the recommended Zeovit dosages because I also use Triton 4-part and most of the Triton elements (extrapolated from ongoing ICP results), and Acropower. I also use ICP tests to try to gauge Zeovit dosages. I am seriously considering doing ICP tests on many of their products (in RO/DI). It drives me crazy that the ingredients aren't listed (on products other than AA, KIF, Fe). Years ago it didn't matter as much....but now, with the ability to get more precise with ICP testing, it is more necessary for KZ to reveal their ingredients. It is almost making me want to abandon them.

And yes, you have my vote for a Zeovit forum.
Thanks so much for your input. As far as stopping dosing some product on zeo I suppose if your tank has been established u can stop dosing the bacteria additive like zeobak, zeostart3 and sponge power. However if your corals are growing and consume faster than the bacteria can handle then old tank syndrome might occurs. I cut all of my bacteria dosing to 50% now just to maintain a healthy culture.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your input. As far as stopping dosing some product on zeo I suppose if your tank has been established u can stop dosing the bacteria additive like zeobak, zeostart3 and sponge power. However if your corals are growing and consume faster than the bacteria can handle then old tank syndrome might occurs. I cut all of my bacteria dosing to 50% now just to maintain a healthy culture.
I haven't used zeobak or zeostart3 since I stopped the zeovite reactors many years ago. I do occasionally use Brightwell BioFuel, probably similar to Start3.

If you have some "clout" with KZ, what do you think about encouraging them to reveal their ingredients? (I don't think anyone wants that info to compete with them with new products, but we should know what we are putting in our tanks!)

Thanks for helping!

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I'm still waiting for answer on a sub forum for zeovit in the meantime I will create a thread for zeovit additives review and how to dose them

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't used zeobak or zeostart3 since I stopped the zeovite reactors many years ago. I do occasionally use Brightwell BioFuel, probably similar to Start3.

If you have some "clout" with KZ, what do you think about encouraging them to reveal their ingredients? (I don't think anyone wants that info to compete with them with new products, but we should know what we are putting in our tanks!)

Thanks for helping!
Lol even Alexander from zeovit forum don't know what's the ingredients are. I have email zeovit and even the owner but no reply. If u look at Coral vitalizer and compare to the Aquaforest energy they look very similar

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe if enough people would let KZ know, via "your" forum, that they would be interested in trying KZ products IF they knew what was in them, they would reconsider revealing the ingredients. And, also, reefers like me that have been using their products for years, considering stopping their usage because of NOT knowing what's in them. This hobby has advanced to the point where reefers want to know what they are putting in their tanks, unlike in the early days when we would try anything and the blind were leading the blind.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back