Zeovit reef tanks of the world

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen heavy blue tanks bring out more colors. Or am I way off? I would say white light is what brings out more color. Every yellow coral I have seen in someone’s blue tank ends up being a mostly green coral. Ime white light is the way to get true blue, yellow and orange hues.
I don’t run Zeo anything so this isn’t about that, but...

you are correct, IME running heavy or blue only turns corals green, and the transition away from it takes some time.

I think many should understand that daylight is very much needed for health and proper coloration, and to think otherwise is unwise.

I only have two yellow acros in my tank, and the Pink Floyd is a true yellow whereas the other one I have (TGC Count of Monte Cristo, like an all yellow SSC) is shedding a lot of its green (yellow under blues) with added daylight spectrum.

I don’t think heavy blues “brings out more colors”, it just showcases them better after the daylight spectrum did all the heavy lifting during the day.

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering running Zeovit in my system for the first time. I am looking into a Skimz ZAR127 before pulling the trigger on the whole Zeovit idea. I can only find it on Skimz website, but I can't see the price anywhere. Is it just my browser software compatability? I think I read some one said shipping was just as much as the reactor and shipping was $150. So is the ZAR127 $150 (seems low to me but yet then again, it looks like any media reactor with a pump underneath)?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am considering running Zeovit in my system for the first time. I am looking into a Skimz ZAR127 before pulling the trigger on the whole Zeovit idea. I can only find it on Skimz website, but I can't see the price anywhere. Is it just my browser software compatability? I think I read some one said shipping was just as much as the reactor and shipping was $150. So is the ZAR127 $150 (seems low to me but yet then again, it looks like any media reactor with a pump underneath)?
I think they discontinued that model. U can find a used one if someone sell it.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running full Zeo and I recently last 5 or 6 weeks stopped running the zeolite media and haven't noticed any difference b/t them. it might take time to notice a difference? Most people that I see dosing KZ products don't run the reactor or the media. I'm not saying don't, just that I don't notice a difference in my own setup has great growth and color after just a few months of running KZ. hands down the best system i have used. I always had a love / hate relationship with SPS for the most part and the KZ system has solved that issue so far.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can always start dosing without the zeolite rock. Its not necessarily to have the zeolite to be successful but if u add it then more beneficial to your tank

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running full Zeo and I recently last 5 or 6 weeks stopped running the zeolite media and haven't noticed any difference b/t them. it might take time to notice a difference? Most people that I see dosing KZ products don't run the reactor or the media. I'm not saying don't, just that I don't notice a difference in my own setup has great growth and color after just a few months of running KZ. hands down the best system i have used. I always had a love / hate relationship with SPS for the most part and the KZ system has solved that issue so far.
Zeolites is supposed to remove ammonia before it turns into nitrite before that can turn into nitrate. This is supposed to keep nitrates levels down in support of a ULNS system. Among other things.

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeolites is supposed to remove ammonia before it turns into nitrite before that can turn into nitrate. This is supposed to keep nitrates levels down in support of a ULNS system. Among other things.

Ahh okay, that calms my worries since my problems has always been skyrocketing phosphates, not nitrates. No matter how much I try, the phosphates have been impossible in this system. Dosing 4ml LaCl per day right now and it still hovers 0.2ppm range. I will get it down to 0.15 range thinking I am finally winning the war the phosphates yells "sike!!" and shoots them right back up. I haven't figure it out where they are coming from, i have cut back feeding, etc. In "Heavy in, Heavy out" ideology, there has never been a heavy out with this tank, in my 21 years of reefing this tank has been by far the most challenging. Until few weeks ago, I have never tied it to dry rock but it would definitely explain some things if true.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh okay, that calms my worries since my problems has always been skyrocketing phosphates, not nitrates. No matter how much I try, the phosphates have been impossible in this system. Dosing 4ml LaCl per day right now and it still hovers 0.2ppm range. I will get it down to 0.15 range thinking I am finally winning the war the phosphates yells "sike!!" and shoots them right back up. I haven't figure it out where they are coming from, i have cut back feeding, etc. In "Heavy in, Heavy out" ideology, there has never been a heavy out with this tank, in my 21 years of reefing this tank has been by far the most challenging. Until few weeks ago, I have never tied it to dry rock but it would definitely explain some things if true.
Have you tried carbon dosing to reduce phosphates?

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried carbon dosing to reduce phosphates?

Yes, I have but it zeros out my nitrates in which I have to start dosing that too. Another problem is I can't get Coralline to take off in order to help with the problem.

Is carbon dosing recommended with Zeovit?

At this point on my list, in order to start off:

Zeostart3
ZeoBak
Flatworms Stop
Sponge Power

Am I forgetting something?

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have but it zeros out my nitrates in which I have to start dosing that too. Another problem is I can't get Coralline to take off in order to help with the problem.

Is carbon dosing recommended with Zeovit?

At this point on my list, in order to start off:

Zeostart3
ZeoBak
Flatworms Stop
Sponge Power

Am I forgetting something?
Zeovit is carbon dosing. Zeostart 3 is the carbon source. Zeobak is the bacteria.

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh okay...its making sense now. I read somewhere that someone said ZeoStart 3 is bacteria and ZeoBak is some more strains of different bacteria.

Is the list I posted above a good start?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also new to KZ and loving it. I purchased the reactor and have noticed when it shakes the corals respond. My N03 and P04 are low .01/1. I’m not chasing numbers.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh okay...its making sense now. I read somewhere that someone said ZeoStart 3 is bacteria and ZeoBak is some more strains of different bacteria.

Is the list I posted above a good start?
That’s what I started with. I waited until month 3 to use the FWS.

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking, since ZeoStart 3 is carbon dosing, why not go with the cheaper route with that specific product, such as Volka. In the past when I carbon dosed I use BW's Reef BioFuel. Why use ZeoStart 3 over other Carbon Dosing products?

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking, since ZeoStart 3 is carbon dosing, why not go with the cheaper route with that specific product, such as Volka. In the past when I carbon dosed I use BW's Reef BioFuel. Why use ZeoStart 3 over other Carbon Dosing products?
In my case, I decided to use a proven system. I guess you can mix and match, but when I did I struggled. Also, Zeovit is very concentrated so the cost over time is not as high as you think.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my case, I decided to use a proven system. I guess you can mix and match, but when I did I struggled. Also, Zeovit is very concentrated so the cost over time is not as high as you think.
The different between dosing vodka and zeostart3 is vodka contain single strain of bacteria and zeostart3 has multi strain of bacteria. You want to build up your tank biology with more diversity beneficial bacteria and microorganisms.

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The different between dosing vodka and zeostart3 is vodka contain single strain of bacteria and zeostart3 has multi strain of bacteria. You want to build up your tank biology with more diversity beneficial bacteria and microorganisms.

That's good enough answer for me, I just needed to know what's the difference in between different products. I am gonna pull the trigger, I already had everything in my BRS's cart. Thx guys, I deeply appreciate the help.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vodka is just food source for feeding bacteria. If zeostart3 is a carbon source I don’t see how it could have anything to do with having more bacteria variety. It might feed a different type of bacteria but how would that be better? Diversity would come from whatever is already in your tank, or whatever bacteria product your using to supplement your bacteria population. Ime carbon dosing doesn’t need bottled bacteria to work well. I have added it in times where something was off, nutrient wise, and I didn’t know why. Or if I added fish but never saw any difference that time for things to recover couldn’t be the explanation for in the end.

Zeovit is a carbon dosing, low nutrient system. Ycnibrc, is using it differently than zeovit prescribes. Zeovit wants you to use the bottles according to what your tank is telling you it needs which is kinda hard for a beginner to do. I would be careful which additives you use if you have a high nutrient system because in most cases it’s just a waste if you don’t have a ultra low nutrient tank. Zeovit is like taking out everything and basically adding back what the coral needs. Imo I would not call keeping nutrients in the tank and dosing a few bottles being on the zeovit program. True zeovit tanks are rare these days and have bright, light pastel colors that glow. I would love to see one in person again. I haven’t for maybe going on 8 years :(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back