OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrogen cycle is slowly moving forward. Looks to me like Ammonia is starting to go down a bit and Nitrites are rising:

DSC_7822.jpg

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks are on the complete opposite side from my modem and wireless router so I decided to order a bridge to connect wirelessly vs. running a hundred feet of cat5 cable. After reading some reviews, I went with this:

DSC_7815.jpg

It was super easy to set up. The directions come with two set-up methods and I followed the directions at utilized a laptop to set it up. I took a bunch of pictures so you can see just how small this thing is, which great because I wanted to mount it under my stand and didn't want it to take up much space.

DSC_7823.jpg

DSC_7819.jpg

DSC_7821.jpg

I am currently able to make changes from my computer on the home network, but I'm having issues with setting up the email alerts and connecting from my phone. If anyone can help me out, that would be great. I'm going to do some researching though, I'm sure I'm not the only on who's run into this...

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results are in and, even though this test kit isn't easy to read, I think the cycle is over based on the testing. Below are a pictures of the test results.

Two shrimp were added on 11/15/12. I began testing on 11/23/12:

DSC_7784.jpg

11/26/12:
IMG_1807.jpg

11/29/12:
DSC_7822.jpg

12/2/12:
IMG_1808.jpg

I'm seeing brown diatoms starting to develop on the rock work now. I'm going to start thinking about a clean up crew and getting some fish and test corals in there.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Diatoms are a great sign! Good job!

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic Scratch Removal

I had previously mentioned that I purchased the Envision used from a local reefer. It had a few light scratches in it and, to be honest, they were really difficult to see after it was filled up with water. But, like most of us, it doesn't matter if no one else can see the scratches because I'll always know it's there. So after just a little bit of googling and youtubing, I realized it's not such a daunting task. There are literally hundreds of youtube videos out there on acrylic scratch removal so I didn't go into a ton of detail photographing the progress. I picked up the Novus 1-2-3 system and some of the "polish mate" pads from Amazon (total was <$20):

DSC_7835.jpg

I actually started with #1 just so see how it would look and I was impressed. Just using the #1 really cleaned up the acrylic and even removed some of the really light scratches. There were just a few deeper scratches that needed to be fixed. These aren't the best pictures because you really have to look at an angle to gsee the scratch, but here's an example:

DSC_7837.jpg

After #3:
DSC_7838.jpg

After #2 & #1:
DSC_7839.jpg

I will probably go back over this starting with #3 again, but I'm happy with how it looks now. It's not 100%, but I have a difficult time seeing it and, really, that's all that matters, right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a skimmer for the system. I'm estimating that w/o rock/sand, the system holds about 175-gallons of water and w/ rock/sand, it's operating at about 150-gallons. I'm not planning to add to the total water volume any time soon. Eventually it will be a high bio-load system, but I'd like something that can work well as the tank matures (read, "add more fish/corals) too. After reading literally thousands of pages, I'm still having a hard time making up my mind. Here are the contenders:

ATB 840v2 ($650.00)
· Footprint: 10.5 x14 x20
· Pump: Single Sicce syncra (“mini airstar”) (21watts)
· Air intake: ~ 700 to 800 LPH
· Chamber diameter: 8"diameter cone with a 3.75" neck
· 1 year manufacturer warranty / lifetime support

SRO XP2000 ($445)
· Footprint: 12.5x10x22
· Pump: Bubbleblaster HY2000 (30watts)
· Air Intake: ~1100lph
· Chamber diameter 8” base/4” neck
· 3-year warranty on pump/1-year on body

Aquamaxx Ecomaxx EM300 ($380)
· Footprint: 9.1x13x23
· Pump: Sicce 3.0 (27watts)
· Air intake: 1020 lph
· Chamber diameter: 8” diameter

JNS Sk3 ($480)
· Footprint: 15x 11.5x23
· Pump: Sicce 3.0 (27watts)
· Air Intake: 1020 LPH
· Chamber diameter: 8 in

SRO 3000int ($420)
· Footprint: 14.5 x 10 x 24
· Pump: Bubbleblaster HY3000S (40watts)
· Air intake: 1500 lph
· Chamber diameter: 8” diameter/ 5”neck
· 3-year warranty on pump/1-year on skimmer body

Performance, noise and price (in that order) are my biggest concerns. A few people have chimed in on the SRO 2000/xp2000, but I'd love to hear more. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a good start! How is the Netgear wireless adapter working for you?

Thanks! I set up the home networking without any problems, but I haven't been able to get access from my phone or while on a computer outside of my home network yet. I think it's user error though, not the Netgear! I need to look into it a little bit more...:nerd:

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything was looking good with the cycle so I decided to stop into one of the LFS. They had a few that piqued my interest but I decided to steer away from SPS as the first coral. I decided on a pink chalice. The blue base doesn't show up as well under the main lights. And, while it's colors really come out under the URI Super Actinics, the colors aren't 100% accurate on the picture below (there's more pink under the actinic, but it was hard to capture). I'm being hyper critical as I don't want to mislead anyone, the picture is actually pretty darn close. Anyway, take a look! :)

Front w/ full spectrum:
DSC_7840.jpg

Right side w/ URI SAs only:
DSC_7848.jpg

Also, still looking for input on the skimmer decision! Let me know if you have thoughts...

Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally decided on a skimmer, should be here in a few days...

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did yah end up getting? is it a surprise for us? :wink:

I'll do an official unveiling/review once it comes in, but for now you'll have to guess! ;) Here's a hint: It's not the SRO3000int.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XP2000 then. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be here sometime this week, so you'll find out in a few more days! :)

Looking great so far, keep the updates coming!

Thanks for checking it out skinz! Should have another update coming this evening...some work to do on the tank (maintenance) and I'm going to make a run to the Lfs.

Back