Zibba's Reefs -- ADA 90P & Envision 100g

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by zibba, Mar 22, 2012.

1. zibba

zibba Valuable Member Photo of the Month Award

Arnie, thanks.

I use a Nikon 105mm f/2.8 lens. When photographing corals, I manually focus the lens -- if you're not taking top downs with a photobox you need to be sure that you're shooting directly though the glass. 90-degree angles will be your friend.

Here are some other settings (or ranges) where I usually shoot:

Mode: M (Manual)
    ISO: 320-800
    Aperature: f/7.1-18 (sharpest around 9-12, in my experience)
    Shutter Speed: greater than 1/40 sec (ideally in the 1/100-1/160 range and will increase ISO to get there if there's not enough light). Anything less, and I usually get a blurred image even with Vibration reduction on the lens.

Most important: take a lot of pictures with different settings to see what works best for your set-up!

I post-process using Adobe Lightroom.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other questions and I'll try to answer them.

2. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Looks awesome buddy! Great job!

3. zibba

Thanks Rev!

I should add that I have been running without GFO for the past 2-months and without carbon for 2-weeks. Trying to keep things simple and have gotten back into a 20g WC/week routine but I'm still dosing Acropower [one 1-L bottle cap-full ~ 7-mL/day]. Sometimes, when I miss a day or two, I add a few cap fulls. It's not very exact, but it's the system I've been running since January.

The water change routine has, in my opinion, helped more than anything. For the last 3-weeks, I've been dosing iodine [4-6 drops/week; 6-drops week 1, 6-drops week 2, 4-drops week 3] with the intention to increase the health of zoas. Too early to comment except that zoas are growing now when they weren't before.

Besides upgrading the size of the tanks, only thing I'm planning is add a second Hydra52 over the Envision. I'd imagine I'll add another fixture long before increasing the water volume! :)

4. Nicktam

Nicktam Member

Amazing shoot! Really enjoy the photos!

5. zibba

Thank you Nicktam! And, welcome to R2R! :)

6. Arnie

Arnie Active Member

Thanks Zibba i will play around with camera....

7. prime8reef

prime8reef Active Member

Iam totally blown away by this tank. So much diversity and COLOR!!! Truly a beauty to behold. Keep up the great work...and great shots too. This is my inspiration for my envisioned Philippines reef tank

8. Reefer831

Reefer831 Valuable Member Photo of the Month Award

Quality evrything! I love this build!!!!!! I need some photo tips from you :) What lens are you useing for your top downs? My 24-70L is brok right now and I find it supper hard to use my 100mm for them....

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  9. Diesel

Diesel String Stalker. R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Reef Spotlight Award Partner Member 2018

................ My Silence is a source of your great success.

10. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Need. More. Photos.

11. zibba

That's really what it comes down to. You'll always learn new tips and tricks as you go along. I am embarrassed by some of the pictures I first took but I know that one day I'll look back at even the most recently posted pictures with a much more critical eye. Again, let me know if I can help.

Thank you very much! :) I hope you start a build thread here when you start your new reef tank!

Really appreciate that! But I know you don't need tips from me!!! :) I'm using the Nikon 105vr f/2.8 for the topdowns. For some though, the working distance is just too short and I wish I had the 60mm macro. I use the Avast Marine topdown portal, which does have some limitations but is the best product I've used for top downs. The 105mm is difficult to work with in some situations though and I think the best thing I could add to my "camera bag" would be an extension to the tripod that holds the camera steady so I can get a deeper depth of field. Handheld, I can only go to 1/25 sec. at best (and I'm not a fan of shooting with high ISO -- just don't have the post-processing power to handle even small amounts of noise).

D, you're too kind. Thank you!

So, here's the thing...I have a bunch of pictures on my camera but my 7-year old laptop that has my photography software on it died. The last batch of pictures were edited on my Kwoww's laptop, which has a really terrible screen that makes accurate color reproduction nearly impossible. On top of that, it (just like my old laptop) is slow. I'm in the process of trying to decide on a new computer (typical "apple v. pc" debate) but when I finally make the decision and get the computer hooked up, I'll be sharing a lot more pictures (that are hopefully more accurate!).

But....I just looked bacand realized that I didn't share this picture that was taken for the purpose of monitoring growth. It's the Miagi Tort and it has really taken off since I started dosing AcroPower about 5 months ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  12. joshporksandwic

joshporksandwic Zoa addict Staff Member Team R2R Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor

Zibba is slacking on us! Lol

13. zibba

Not going to lie...there are a few new things in the tanks that need some photographic attention!

14. joshporksandwic

joshporksandwic Zoa addict Staff Member Team R2R Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor

Don't make me fly to AZ or send Aquaph8 one of our mods there.

15. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus Partner Member 2018

Eh hm, I know where he lives... :p

16. joshporksandwic

Lol go attack!

17. Aquaph8

Aquaph8 Love The Fish R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Moderator Emeritus

I lost the green on mine years ago and I can't get it to come back

18. zibba

:tongue:

It's been happy for awhile now. Around 170 par reading (adjusted for LEDs) with med-high flow. I've browned it out and made it upset with alk levels over 9 dkh though.

19. zibba

Work in progress, but it's coming along:

[​IMG]

Thankfully these guys have recovered from whatever was going on:
    [​IMG]

20. cmaxwell39

cmaxwell39 Active Member

I always enjoy dropping in on this thread. Great selection of corals, and the photography is excellent. Great job.

Draft saved Draft deleted