Zn, Mn, and Fe All way too high in hw-Marinemix Reefer Salt

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2017-11-13_12-33-19.png

Ok, here's the problem. I have a 20g food grade brute container to store premixed saltwater. My tank was Triton tested on 8/02 and I found elevated levels of Zn, Mn, and Fe. Everything else was in the green and good to go. So, I tested my water storage container on 8/15 and the results were all high. I thought it might be my old hydor pump or my RODI filters were too old (less than a year though) so I replaced the pump and all my rodi filters. TDS has always been 0.

After replacing all these I just tested the storage container again and found the exact same results. All highly elevated Zn, Mn, Fe.

All more corals look good though.

Here's my questions:
1. Are these elevated levels so bad I need do something now even if my tank looks good?
2. Could the salt mix be the issue and has anyone else seen this with HW-Marinemix Reefer?

What is going on?
Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The values are surprisingly high. This test is of newly mixed seawater?

What were the tank levels of these?

They certainly seem to suggest corroding metal, such as a zinc coated piece of steel. No metal parts exposed to this new water? No internal metal parts in whatever mixing apparatus you use?

It is possible a chunk of metal got into the salt mix from the factory.

OP
OP
Snookin

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This test was premixed saltwater that was in brute container for about 1 week before testing. No metal parts in saltwater storage brute container.

Here's a test I did an hour after water change on my tank: (This is a test of my reef tank)
upload_2017-11-13_14-30-22.png

Here's a test I did after a week before the water change: (Reef tank)
upload_2017-11-13_14-31-28.png

As you can see. The highest concentration of these elements is in my saltwater storage and over time my tank is absorbing these elements till my next water change when they are reintroduced.

Let me know if that explanation doesn't make sense.

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the zinc and manganese can afford to be boosted, so that's not apparently a concern. :D

Some folks (such as Gelnnf) add a ton of iron and Red Sea says the "optimal" level of iron is 150 ug/L, which you are way below in the tank (I personally do not recommend that much, but it must not be seriously problematic for most people).

Consequently, I don't suggest you need to do anything at the moment. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back