Zoa and Xenia not doing well

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish I poated have a little more bioload so it will benefit the no3 and p04 more
Yes they will, but OP also needs to choose a fish they like so they can keep it long term. Heavy feeding will do a lot more for the nutrient levels than adding another small fish will

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t trust those strips very much. Do you have a LFS around that you could bring a sample in to test NO3 and PO4?

is anything eating the brown/orange/green algae?

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t trust those strips very much. Do you have a LFS around that you could bring a sample in to test NO3 and PO4?

is anything eating the brown/orange/green algae?
My snails and hermits but not very quickly. Nearest LFS are all at least 1 hr away

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snails and hermits but not very quickly. Nearest LFS are all at least 1 hr away
Ok, that’s good. It’s not one of the really problematic algae.

When you scrape off the rocks, you should remove the algae from tank, suction it out. Once you get rid of the longer stuff they do better at eating it

good advice above about removing the cartridge and replacing with floss.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KH = about 140
GH = 180
No one reacted on these figures?

KH measured with what? GH is normally not measured in saltwater because it is an old measurements of the combined effect of calcium and magnesium in freshwater. In saltwater it will be extremely high and says nothing. KH - as an salinity measurement is normally between 7 to 12 in saltwater. Which test do you use?

Get salifert for KH too.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia has no tolerance for big pH or nutrient changes, especially if they are going to the lower side. In a tank with zero nitrate it won't last long.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is 140 mg/L as CaCO2 - your right it is around 8 in KH. Because the reading of GH - I assume that there is strips for freshwater involved.

Sincerely Lasse
Yeah they were saltwater/fereshwater strips. API too. I bought them a while ago and I didnt realize they werent always reliable. Im almost out anyways so im gonna buy something better.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the zoa looks like its starting it open slowly. I placed the xenia in an area with flow but i still cant tell if its getting better. I also removed like half the carbon from the filter and turned down the filter flow so hopefully that will help.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your problem is 0 NO3 and 0 PO4
They need nutrients.
I wouldn't dose nitrates without a better kit. I also wouldn't dose phosphate without using an Hanna Ultra Low checker. Others will disagree, I'm sure.

+1 on both of these. I like the red sea nitrate pro test kit for nitrates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad its a new day. but now i think the xenia is dead, it seems to be falling apart. I think its dead :(:( does anyone know anything that might be going on? The zoa is still closed but it doesnt look like its dying or anything, its just closed, still has color. The cypha i also got has already started growing again so at least thats good. I was wondering if I should dip the corals maybe? One last shot?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad its a new day. but now i think the xenia is dead, it seems to be falling apart. I think its dead :(:( does anyone know anything that might be going on? The zoa is still closed but it doesnt look like its dying or anything, its just closed, still has color. The cypha i also got has already started growing again so at least thats good. I was wondering if I should dip the corals maybe? One last shot?
Can you show a picture of them? Have you got new test kits to accurately check parameters?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back