Zoa colors ruined by LEDs

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered change your LED for T5s?
Colors are great under T5 bulbs!
No need worry, just plug and play!
They will be very healthy too!
That's my suggestion.

Grandis.

Reefertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are happy

20170225_182628.jpg

20170221_175510.jpg

OP
OP
wysiwyg33015

wysiwyg33015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally dialing in the Hydra 26. I bought the seneye senor with a built in par meter and found out my Zoas were sitting under 400 par under my original settings. How...you ask. Because I retro fitted a Hydra 26 into a biocube's hood which put the lighting two inches from the water surface. I dialed down the whites in my Hydra and turned up the blues till I got 200 par on my Zoas. It's been a week and my Zoas seems to be coloring up. I'll give it another two weeks and I'll post pics of before and after.

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt its an LED related issue. I just switched from T5 to led on over 100 corals because my main tank busted a seam. I have had no issues, i am also using the AI hydra 26hd.

Jake

BillyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last post was long ago, but i see on your light schedule you run whites for a verry small period of time. How are the zoa's now?

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how deep your tank is, but my first impression is you need to start slowly bumping up your lighting.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first bought my Zoas their bright and full of color three months later under LEDs colors are gone. My water parameters are consistent. My Zoas are big and popping up new heads each week, but the colors aren't as pronounced when first bought them. For example my rainbow incinerator, first pic is before second is after a month under LEDs.
IMG_1592.PNG
IMG_1591.PNG
I know its a old post but my zoanthids lost a lot of colour by dosing NOPOX. not sure if you do or not but mine like it with higher nitrate levels.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its a old post but my zoanthids lost a lot of colour by dosing NOPOX. not sure if you do or not but mine like it with higher nitrate levels.
You have to be careful when carbon dosing because you also have to skim hard to remove the nutrients before the nuisance algae can metabolize them. It is possible to get the water too clean with carbon dosing, leaving very few nutrients or trace elements that generally drive colors in tank inhabitants.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back