Zoa disappearing and then THIS.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few week ago I had a healthy colony of predator zoas...about 4 days ago I woe to only having 3 eyes. this morning there was only one eye left. I decided to pull the small rock and put the last eye onto a frag and store it up high. Underneath the rock was a sand tube. Once I cracked open the tube this black thing was inside...Any ideas what it was, it was about 11/2" long.....past tense

IMG_5383.jpg IMG_5454.jpg IMG_5459.jpg

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely Chaetopterus or other similar "parchment worm". They are filter feeders and not likely the cause of the dying zoas. I have collected larger ones locally and added them to my tank with no issues
nope thats not them, i googled it and they are really different. this one made the tube to the underside of the rock out of sand , wish I had of video it prior to breaking it up. I have done alot of searching and I cant seem to come close to what it looked like

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope thats not them, i googled it and they are really different. this one made the tube to the underside of the rock out of sand , wish I had of video it prior to breaking it up. I have done alot of searching and I cant seem to come close to what it looked like
yes, parchment worms attach sand, shells, and other detritus as a sort of "armor" for their tubes. They either bury themselves in sand or wedge themselves into the bases of rocks(or under a frag in this case). Chaetopterus might be wrong, there is a pretty wide variety of worms like this. But, I am pretty much certain it's a filter feeding worm of sorts. I looked back at my old photos, the ones I had are genus Nothria. Doesn't look the same as yours, but still does the same sand tube thing.

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well upgrade to a larger tank this morning and it was alot more work than I figured.... I found these 2 crabs in the rock work no wonder all my zoas are still disappearing...any idea what they are cheers

Attachments

• crab1.jpg
    crab1.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 53
  • crab2.jpg
    crab2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MWFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few week ago I had a healthy colony of predator zoas...about 4 days ago I woe to only having 3 eyes. this morning there was only one eye left. I decided to pull the small rock and put the last eye onto a frag and store it up high. Underneath the rock was a sand tube. Once I cracked open the tube this black thing was inside...Any ideas what it was, it was about 11/2" long.....past tense

IMG_5383.jpg IMG_5454.jpg IMG_5459.jpg
by the fangs this thing has it could be a bobbit worm of some type

Back