Zoa eating nudibranch

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some zoa eating nudibranch and I’d like to know the best way to get rid of them and I’m not sure if it being there too long will ruin my coral

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some zoa eating nudibranch and I’d like to know the best way to get rid of them and I’m not sure if it being there too long will ruin my coral
How do you know you have them?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa eating nudibranch are very small and slow moving. Other pods (good ones) like using zoas as a refuge from predation - therefore you can only know you have nudis if you dip zoas in RO water and inspect whatever drops out of them..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You will have to manually remove them with either siphoning thru a tube or netting them out as you find them. Additionally for the next two weeks, inspect daily for presence of ANY eggs they may have deposited. Eggs are VERY TINY

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 89

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t really see them but basically it’s causing my zoas to close up
Zoas close up for all kinds of reasons - unless you found nudis via RO dip, you can't just assume they are the reason for zoa behavour

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas close up for all kinds of reasons - unless you found nudis via RO dip, you can't just assume they are the reason for zoa behavour
do wrasses eat nudibranch , just out of curiosity ?

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

They aren't that small and they tend to be the same color of the zoa they are eating so they pop quite easily. I had a wild colony of zoas a while ago and had a few that were easily seen without dipping. Much larger than a amphipod.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't that small and they tend to be the same color of the zoa they are eating so they pop quite easily. I had a wild colony of zoas a while ago and had a few that were easily seen without dipping. Much larger than a amphipod.
So what could it be? Because I have other zoas that are currently opening up fine

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what could it be? Because I have other zoas that are currently opening up fine
I have a zoa colony thats half open half melted (been like that for a couple of months). i have 3 other zoa colonies with 100s polyps that are nearby and happy. The reasons for why they decide to melt away are little understood.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a zoa colony thats half open half melted (been like that for a couple of months). i have 3 other zoa colonies with 100s polyps that are nearby and happy. The reasons for why they decide to melt away are little understood.
Yes but there is something on my coral. I might just dip it again

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes but there is something on my coral. I might just dip it again
Definitely dip them again. As someone else said, zoa eating nudis are not that small. You can definitely see them in the colony if you’re looking carefully. The other thing to look for and gently scrub away with a soft toothbrush would be eggs on the stalks of the zoas. The eggs end up looking like little swirls.
Nudis tend to come out more at night as well, in my experience with having them, so check later in the day before or after your lights go out.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back