Zoa garden tank... spot feed or dosing nutritional supplement?

MrFus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering about the best way to add a little boost of nutrients to a Nano Zoa garden...

I have seen videos were people spot feed small amounts of something like Reef Roids to colonies of Zoas, I have read that some other people recommend to just do regular water changes and keep a good lighting (adequate PAR numbers, spectrum and exposure time) and that will replenish the necessary nutrients for zoas, and some mentioned dosing small quantities of supplements like Reef Energy plus AB+ to help.

At the same time I have found that there are people who have seen spikes on phosphates after using Reef Roids and AB+ followed by bad algae blooms... I have been tempted to use Reef Roids just the day before my weekly water change but at the same time I'm not sure if its really necessary for the 5 small frags that I have or if I will be screwing up my current system due the fact that is newly stablish and parameter could go out of control really fast...

What do you think, it's worth the risk or should I just keep with my water changes and keeping stable numbers and let the zoas be?

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both have worked in my Aquariums. I was told that they’ll catch flakes in the water stream at my lfs but I do spot feeding to. Any both work but feeding add more speed to growth.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done A+B. And spot feed with reef roids both work good I do more reef roids than anything with all my coral and have good lighting as well as dose ALK and calcium

OP
OP
MrFus

MrFus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done A+B. And spot feed with reef roids both work good I do more reef roids than anything with all my coral and have good lighting as well as dose ALK and calcium
Right now my phosphate levels are 0.0 according the Hanna Checker... I don't have any other living things beyond the 5 little zoa frags so there is not food or fish poop!!

I was thinking on use reef roids the day before I do my water change and if phosphates start to show on the test put some BRS high capacity GFO on the octo cup in order to keep the levels under control.

OP
OP
MrFus

MrFus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply out of curiosity, why no swimmers in the tank?
Mmm... I can't really point a reason! While I was thinking about setting up the tank ended bumping on some amazing pictures of zoa gardens and got hooked on the idea of building a nano like that as my first reef tank!

OP
OP
MrFus

MrFus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that you need some phosphate for coral to grow
Based on most of the recommendations I should have some phosphates and nitrates on the water...

That is why I'm debating on using reef roids or AB+ to insert some nutrients on the tank, usually food and fish waste should be the source of nutrients for zoas and other corals to filter and complement their nutrition but I don't have anything beyond just zoas!

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my phosphate levels are 0.0 according the Hanna Checker... I don't have any other living things beyond the 5 little zoa frags so there is not food or fish poop!!

I was thinking on use reef roids the day before I do my water change and if phosphates start to show on the test put some BRS high capacity GFO on the octo cup in order to keep the levels under control.
I threw a bag of phosguard in one of my chambers and fed away and had zero issues my zoas love reef roids and I ran into a issue of some algae growing but nothing big that I couldn’t over come. Just some water changes I would definitely consider dosing trace elements feeding the zoas something and having good lighting

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on most of the recommendations I should have some phosphates and nitrates on the water...

That is why I'm debating on using reef roids or AB+ to insert some nutrients on the tank, usually food and fish waste should be the source of nutrients for zoas and other corals to filter and complement their nutrition but I don't have anything beyond just zoas!
Try Reef Roids just start a little to see

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can grow a killer zoa garden in a beer cooler wearing flip flops while drinking most of the beer.

The key to happy and fast going zoas is steady nutrients and slightly elevated nitrate. Bouncy nutrient levels wreak zoas, and moving from 15 nitrates to a trace due to an algae bloom will kill a lot of them. Phosphates can't be zero either. A little iodine supplementing helps.

Some bigger palys like my gobstoppers, or blue aguaves or purple deaths will eat brine shrimp dropped on them. Ive not found spot feeding smaller zoas does much. Keeping nutrients in order is the best food.

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just broadcast a small amount of reef roids (1/8th teaspoon, 10 gallon cube) and a two drops of brightwell's aminos every 3 days or so. I do occasionally spot feed the Grandis and a few of the other big palys. I don't spot feed zoas that give no feeding response.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back