Zoa help

gdimarco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all

I got these two zoa colonies about 6 months ago. They were both doing fantastic till about 1 month ago.
First I can't seem to tell if I have aiptasia ? Or something else? Some seem white some seem brownish. The zoa on the right seems to have some white little arms coming out the left bottom. The one of the left has a bunch on the top that looks brownish and white.

Also the polyps seem to have stopped opening and look kinda brown so I can't tell if they are dying or not. I have blown them off with syringe and I know there is no detritus on them.

The tank is 9 months old. 75 gal with canister filter and LED lights. Not the best lights on the market since they were a gift but my leather frogspawn 2 mushrooms and pulsing xenia all have been doing great and look awesome. Its only the zoas that look like poo.
I checked for pests and couldn't find anything other than these possible aiptasias

Any insight would be great. Thank you.

Parameters
Alk: 10.8
Ph: 8.0
Ammonia:0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2.5
Calcium 380
Salinity 1.024
Mag 990
I know my calcium and mag are low. I've been working on getting them up from water changes but I wouldn't think either would effect zoas to much

PXL_20230530_200009314.jpg PXL_20230530_195837626.jpg PXL_20230530_195950020.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gdimarco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like aiptasia, get a peppermint shrimp.
Any idea why the zoa on the left has lost all its polyps? They have all shrunk and turned brown but haven't melted. I can't tell if it's algae or not but it doesn't seem like it. It used to be full of lush polyps. And they are still there but not open instead they have been closed and shrunken as well as kinda brown for weeks.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, also something I just recently got right, check your lighting. My Zoas were often half open and they lost their color. I saw bright colors turn muted and then to browns. I didn’t realize they were bleaching, lowered my lighting and within a week they were all open and looking happier than theyve ever been. Color is coming back.

OP
OP
G

gdimarco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, also something I just recently got right, check your lighting. My Zoas were often half open and they lost their color. I saw bright colors turn muted and then to browns. I didn’t realize they were bleaching, lowered my lighting and within a week they were all open and looking happier than theyve ever been. Color is coming back.
Great advice. I was not enough light but maybe it's to much.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice. I was not enough light but maybe it's to much.
I’ve had about 20 frags of Zoas in here for 4 months or so and I have a mixed reef so I bumped my lights up to help out the acros. I couldn’t figure out why my Zoas were unhappy. I actually rented a par meter. I had them in about 225 when they were unhappy. Now they are in 150 and looking great. Here’s an example of one of the ones that looks like it bleached and it starting to get color again. All of the others are mostly back to looking great again.

Fruit loops zoa

image.jpg

Used to look like this

7EF74EAA-1569-4ECF-BF87-DA4B0A02FED9.jpeg

OP
OP
G

gdimarco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had about 20 frags of Zoas in here for 4 months or so and I have a mixed reef so I bumped my lights up to help out the acros. I couldn’t figure out why my Zoas were unhappy. I actually rented a par meter. I had them in about 225 when they were unhappy. Now they are in 150 and looking great. Here’s an example of one of the ones that looks like it bleached and it starting to get color again. All of the others are mostly back to looking great again.

Fruit loops zoa

image.jpg

Used to look like this

7EF74EAA-1569-4ECF-BF87-DA4B0A02FED9.jpeg
Beautiful!, I'll try moving them down. At this point it can't hurt. Thanks for the advice

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

Back