Zoa Spider ID and Advice

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my first effort at fragging zoas today to remove some off a frag rack. I dipped the originals and the new frag plugs in iodine, then in revive after I was done. I thought I rinsed all of them well, but after returning to the tank, I found this floating around in the current. I'm pretty sure it's a zoa spider and I'm freaked out about how to get rid of them.

If this is a zoa spider, then from what I've read, I'm in for a ton of dipping and manual removal if I find any. Any other advice? I could have gotten these from either a LFS or an online vendor. I hope it's not the online vendor, as I just ordered some more corals from the same this week :rolleyes:.

IMG_1390.jpeg

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, that’s a spider

(you have more, that’s certain)
Any advice? Just dip, inspect, repeat?

I have 4 zoas now and I’m expecting 3 more this week. I assume I should keep the new separate from the ones I have now if possible?

My current situation is that I have one tank with fish and a couple corals, and another that is acting as a coral QT tank for fish disease - totally fishless. I was thinking of setting up a new coral QT tank and this may have helped me decide that is the best thing to do.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
that would be the best course of action...
remove zoas, since you only have a few, and qt them separately in their own tank.

the spiders in your main system will starve out eventually.

in the interim, you’ll be laboriously going through the inspecting and dipping process with your infected zoas.

run a search, there are a few people who have been going through this recently.
you will get an idea on the process you will have to go through yourself.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice? Just dip, inspect, repeat?

I have 4 zoas now and I’m expecting 3 more this week. I assume I should keep the new separate from the ones I have now if possible?

My current situation is that I have one tank with fish and a couple corals, and another that is acting as a coral QT tank for fish disease - totally fishless. I was thinking of setting up a new coral QT tank and this may have helped me decide that is the best thing to do.
Is it possible to use a coral quarantine tank and fish combined? I found a creepy sider I thought was a zoa type but looks nothing like yours and pics I have seen. It has a round body with 6 really long legs. Looks like a serpentine star fish, goin g to try and post a pic tomorrow!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back