zoa staying partially closed

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as of 2 days ago, my zoa randomly closed. i have it next to another colony of zoas who are doing just fine. there have not been any changes to the tank itself. 2 days ago, the zoas were open, and they started closing through the day, and since then, the most they have done, is partially opened, as you will see in the picture. this was a purchase about 2 weeks ago from a reputable coral store here. the frag i bought was the purchase of 2 larger polyps, and a smaller one. in the store, and at home, i have only had seen the 2 larger ones open. the third smaller one has never opened, so no issue there really. when i took the coral out of the tank to check for things that might be hitchhiking, i noticed what may be a newer polyp, but it has never opened either, and to be fair, i dont recall if it was there on the day i purchased it.

i used my baster to blow on it gently in case there was something on or around it causing iritation.

from the point i put it in my tank the day i bought it, it opened right up the same day, and have had no issues with it whatsoever, up until the day it decided to close. not sure why it seems to stay closed, or only partially opened. perhaps the 4th polyp is new, and may have caused it to close, i dont know, but need your thoughts.

i used my baster to blow on it gently in case there was something on or around it causing iritation.

its in an area where there is moderate flow, and the light, as you can see, is not intense or overly bright

parameters-
salinity- 1.026
ammonia-0
nitrites-0
nitrates 10-20
calcium 400
alk-10.5
PH-8.1
temp 78-79 deg

other coral life- hammer coral, GSP (purchased same day from the same shop), another colony of zoas. all are doing well, none show any signs of something that would be happening within the tank, and just seems to be local to the one small zoa frag.

20210727_164721.jpg

Last edited:

Davos2911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI there, I had an issue with my zoas when I first added them to the tank. They took about 4 weeks to start opening up after them being open in the shop when I bought them. I think I could be 1 of 2 things. They are acclimatising to your tank or the cleaner shrimp you have in the photo is trampling on them. My cleaner often Chambers over them and forages for food in them and they close up but they do open up soon after. I would say patience is key.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI there, I had an issue with my zoas when I first added them to the tank. They took about 4 weeks to start opening up after them being open in the shop when I bought them. I think I could be 1 of 2 things. They are acclimatising to your tank or the cleaner shrimp you have in the photo is trampling on them. My cleaner often Chambers over them and forages for food in them and they close up but they do open up soon after. I would say patience is key.
i would say that this would be the case, if the shrimp was doing it often, and that they had not been open for over a week of already having them. i sit next to my tank throughout the week and can say that the shrimp is rarely around this particular frag.
the day i brought the frag home, it opened up within an hour, and was on the normal routine of opening when lights would come on in the morning, so the acclimation, unless they go from opening fine and looking healthy to a week or two later of needing acclimation, i dont think that to be the case, but i also dont have a ton of knowledge with regards to coral, but knowing how normal plant life works, if they are needing to acclimate, or dont like their conditions, they will close up, or show distress right away, and not a week later

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a dump question but do Zooanthids sleep? I noticed that they shut their polyps during the tanks night cycle and reopen them once the lights come back on. It would make sense that this is perfectly healthy behavior, but I just want to make sure.
it is about 6pm and dark here so the lights would normally be off but even in the 15 minutes it’s been on they are already starting to open again. I think that’s healthy behavior, right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a dump question but do Zooanthids sleep? I noticed that they shut their polyps during the tanks night cycle and reopen them once the lights come back on. It would make sense that this is perfectly healthy behavior, but I just want to make sure.
it is about 6pm and dark here so the lights would normally be off but even in the 15 minutes it’s been on they are already starting to open again. I think that’s healthy behavior, right?
yes, they will. most polyps will close all the way. i have some polyps that stay open even at night, but i would say that 90% of the polyps i have, close up

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back