Zoa

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the price of Zoa's raising,I feel like $15 a polyp is just about standard. Especially around the Orlando area.

I agree,a frag with 2+ polyps definitely gives you a better chance of survival bit also if you look at the coverage of "algae" on the frag,is the plug brand new and white ? Is the glue fresh,does the polyp look healthy ? Are all questions you should ask yourself. If its a fresh cut,the percentage of survival is lower than a cut that healed for a few weeks.

If the tank it is going into has been properly cycled and bacteria is plentiful the polyp should survive no problem.

Post a pic so we can see it please.

OP
OP
Drich5150

Drich5150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pic

Attachments

• 20201128_212956.jpg
    20201128_212956.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 31

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be a Lunar Eclipse or VDM morph. Both are super hardy and easy.

Don't change anything and keep doing things as normal and it will be fine.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a mulitpilitued of things,idk lol. Shotty water quality,fresh cut or a bad cut,poor strain of the morph,pests the list goes on.

right so I don’t necessarily need to take the blame, they were freshly cut as the plugs were very clean so maybe I was off to a bad start.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right so I don’t necessarily need to take the blame, they were freshly cut as the plugs were very clean so maybe I was off to a bad start.

More than likely. I look at all of that when buying really any coral. There is only 1 place I will take a chance on a fresh cut. That is Living Reef Orlando.

Fresh cuts are never a good thing,too much can happen. More than likely it was a fresh cut had no heal time and it succumbed to a bacterial infection of some sort and melted. Also,some strains just melt. For me,Twizzlers and Hornet's melt. I also am not having luck with WWC Superstars. Got a very healthy frag it was opened for a week and then has been closed for 3 weeks. Its still producing a growth mat but the main polyp is closed and looks terrible lol.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely. I look at all of that when buying really any coral. There is only 1 place I will take a chance on a fresh cut. That is Living Reef Orlando.

Fresh cuts are never a good thing,too much can happen. More than likely it was a fresh cut had no heal time and it succumbed to a bacterial infection of some sort and melted. Also,some strains just melt. For me,Twizzlers and Hornet's melt. I also am not having luck with WWC Superstars. Got a very healthy frag it was opened for a week and then has been closed for 3 weeks. Its still producing a growth mat but the main polyp is closed and looks terrible lol.

thanks, next time I will buy from an LFS see what I’m getting! They died too quickly for my liking, shipped 3 plugs in the same bag probably didn’t help either, getting knocked together.

OP
OP
Drich5150

Drich5150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been 25 days and i noticed tonight a new head growing out. So exciting

tincsam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been 25 days and i noticed tonight a new head growing out. So exciting
I'm pretty new. Another I found to be fun to watch is the simple green star polyp. While a lot of experienced reefers note it will grow rapidly and overgrow a tank if not placed right (on an island!) I have had great excitement with this in the tank and watching it slowly (to me) grow.

I have also become real excited watching new head grow on my zoa's!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back