Zoanthid and Palythoa Eye Candy Thread (zoas & palys)

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin is theoretically present in zoanthids, but in practice the concentrations are very low. Shy of ingesting whole zoas, it's not a major concern.

Palys are a different story.
yea. would love to order some zoas and mushroom corals online, as they r easiest to care for but i'm just worried about placing them in the tank and if their palytoxin will contaminate the water. should i order a frag of them or a rock of zoas of liveaquaria?

notsobigtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @dtruitt said, it's not present in all zoas. Take proper steps to protect yourself while fragging and there shouldn't be a problem. Most issues arise from people using boiling/scalding hot water to try and kill them and turn it into an inhalant and then wreaks havoc on your respiratory system.

ReadySet-Flow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea. would love to order some zoas and mushroom corals online, as they r easiest to care for but i'm just worried about placing them in the tank and if their palytoxin will contaminate the water. should i order a frag of them or a rock of zoas of liveaquaria?
If you’re buying frags and you’re concerned, all you’d need to do is rinse them in fresh saltwater before putting them in your tank. Any palytoxin that may possibly be in the water will be left behind when it’s placed in your tank.

then, you should be running carbon and everything’ll be fine. Fragging is where the real risk is.

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't believe there are any documented cases where a zoanthid handled with care managed to contaminate an entire tank to an extent that posed a risk for other life in the tank, or the hobbyist working the tank.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RASTA 112720.jpg
scrambled egg 102920.jpg

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re buying frags and you’re concerned, all you’d need to do is rinse them in fresh saltwater before putting them in your tank. Any palytoxin that may possibly be in the water will be left behind when it’s placed in your tank.

then, you should be running carbon and everything’ll be fine. Fragging is where the real risk is.
what about rocks? or could i just buy a star polyp rock instead? sorry if i'm being stupid but i'm new to corals more than fish...

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about rocks? or could i just buy a star polyp rock instead? sorry if i'm being stupid but i'm new to corals more than fish...

Rocks are fine, but frags will turn into rocks quickly enough.

Do not buy from liveaquaria. They charge mid to high end prices for low end pieces. Look in the selling forums on here for reasonably priced corals.

I'd strongly suggest you see if there is a local facebook group or thread on r2r to swap and buy from local hobbyists.

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks are fine, but frags will turn into rocks quickly enough.

Do not buy from liveaquaria. They charge mid to high end prices for low end pieces. Look in the selling forums on here for reasonably priced corals.

I'd strongly suggest you see if there is a local facebook group or thread on r2r to swap and buy from local hobbyists.
alrighty. thank u for the help :)

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this frag on Black Friday for $10 from my LFS! Sold as Butt Kisser Zoas. Never seen em!

8F6BF60F-49B6-4047-A9D2-7906285C2854.jpeg
Woe that is terrible on their part,tell them to get their morphs straight lol. Those are Rainbow Incinerators,I have them as well and they are an amazing morph.

They used to be a high dollar morph but with their quick growth rate,the price dropped faaast.

These are BK'ers

Screenshot_20201203-152227_Samsung Internet.jpg

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t have a name but solid white paly grandis. I’ve had them two weeks and they were under good lighting at the LFS so I don’t believe they are bleached. They’re just white.

Attachments

• C5DB6D17-42A0-425E-B1F5-D67D87884D9F.jpeg
    C5DB6D17-42A0-425E-B1F5-D67D87884D9F.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 53

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GMK vs Dayglo. Y’all enjoy
CCA81219-DDAE-4379-9CA7-C13292DDB34F.jpeg

07668D8C-2F1A-4ADF-AC3D-FCFF35800EA3.jpeg

How do you get your thick green rim on your GMK? Im up to 8 polyps now. I've got some great oranges and yellows, but I have yet to see that nice green border. Keeping them around 200 par.

Also, where did you find a Dayglow? I've been looking for those...

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get your thick green rim on your GMK? Im up to 8 polyps now. I've got some great oranges and yellows, but I have yet to see that nice green border. Keeping them around 200 par.

Can’t get that green on my GMK either

Sea_Monkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have mine under t5 and it’s at a low light area, Indirect light. So the dayglo, I bought one from virna(Zoa_girl) a long time ago. Grew them out, sold it to a guy named dung, and I bought a polyp back from him.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back