Zoanthids haven't looked right since peroxide dip

onlytoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I had some serious algae on my utter chaos plug which I just couldn't get rid of, was super long and between the polpys, so I resulted to a peroxide dip.
I done it about 10 days ago but the coral doesn't seem to have bounced back. the zoa is out, but looks like shrivelled and the skirt is a lot shorter and tighter.

Will this go away? Does it normally take this long to go back to normal?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are funny. I've had several colonies (including one really large one) that decided to shrivel up (but not die) for several months - and they've only recently started returning to their former glorious selves. I tried more light, less light, more flow, less flow, more supplements, less supplements - nothing worked. I'd just keep monitoring your water parameters, doing water changes and testing.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually they open back up in a day or two, but occasionally I have had some that are damaged by the same peroxide dip method. I have had the exact same scenario that you have. They may take some time to recover to their former condition. They need time to heal.

OP
OP
O

onlytoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are funny. I've had several colonies (including one really large one) that decided to shrivel up (but not die) for several months - and they've only recently started returning to their former glorious selves. I tried more light, less light, more flow, less flow, more supplements, less supplements - nothing worked. I'd just keep monitoring your water parameters, doing water changes and testing.

Ahhh that's very odd indeed! I just want them to have giant polyps like the ones I saw in my LFS :'(

OP
OP
O

onlytoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually they open back up in a day or two, but occasionally I have had some that are damaged by the same peroxide dip method. I have had the exact same scenario that you have. They may take some time to recover to their former condition. They need time to heal.

Yeah I think mine must be damaged too, I did use quite a bit of peroxide but less than was suggested (1:5) I think.
Hopefully they bounce back, i'm getting some coral foods soon so hopefully that will make a difference

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh that's very odd indeed! I just want them to have giant polyps like the ones I saw in my LFS :'(
This is the zoa colony I'm still waiting on to recover (ignore the damsel attempting to photobomb). 3+ months and counting... You can see the one lone blueberry zoa lower left that's doing ok.

zoas.jpg

Last edited:

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always bounce back within 3 days. Although I have one currently that has thrived before but is now shriveled and I haven’t changed anything in the tank. As long as it doesn’t start to melt on me I’ll wait it out.

OP
OP
O

onlytoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the zoa colony I'm still waiting on to recover (ignore the damsel attempting to photobomb). 3+ months and counting... You can see the one lone blueberry zoa lower left that's doing ok.

zoas.jpg
Three months, oh my goodness! If I knew, I would have just have tried something else and maybe changed my frag plugs or something!
Such a shame because that's a very impressive colony!

OP
OP
O

onlytoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always bounce back within 3 days. Although I have one currently that has thrived before but is now shriveled and I haven’t changed anything in the tank. As long as it doesn’t start to melt on me I’ll wait it out.
Lucky!!
Mine didn't open for 4 days!
Fingers crossed for us all!

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zoas.jpg
Wow! Are you sure there could not be some other cause? It just seems incredible that they could not have recovered from a dip in that long. I think you should post this to see what people think (the smart people, not me).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three months, oh my goodness! If I knew, I would have just have tried something else and maybe changed my frag plugs or something! Such a shame because that's a very impressive colony!
Yeah, it *was*. Can you believe that's all from a single 2-polyp frag? I'm still cautiously optimistic that it will return to full heath. Fingers crossed!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Are you sure there could not be some other cause? It just seems incredible that they could not have recovered from a dip in that long. I think you should post this to see what people think (the smart people, not me).
Oh, that's not from a dip - they just decided to go feral on me one day (the colony is strung together on 3 rather good-sized rocks). I've literally tried everything, including changing up dosing locations and amounts in an effort to rule everything out. I've narrowed it down to a nipping fish (one suspect, but have not caught him in the act for many months) -or- a low PAR level in that particular spot in the tank.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had some blue lagoons that it feels like the peroxide almost stunted their growth and they still don’t look that great.

I had gotten these stargazers that looked bad, bag was cloudy etc. dipped if twice. First pic is when I get it. 2nd pic is from today about 4 months later. I did move it a little higher but a small piece of it is lower and doing well also.

Attachments

• A6458259-BA76-4E2C-AD99-E9C369B867C7.png
    A6458259-BA76-4E2C-AD99-E9C369B867C7.png
    975.7 KB · Views: 41
  • BF5ADB29-D6C7-452F-911A-FFAF9497EF8D.png
    BF5ADB29-D6C7-452F-911A-FFAF9497EF8D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 49

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had some blue lagoons that it feels like the peroxide almost stunted their growth and they still don’t look that great.

I had gotten these stargazers that looked bad, bag was cloudy etc. dipped if twice. First pic is when I get it. 2nd pic is from today about 4 months later. I did move it a little higher but a small piece of it is lower and doing well also.
How are those Goblin's Fire doing/growing? Mine are very slow growing.

loganzielke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with my utter chaos frag too had gha and I dipped it in h202. its been over a month its growing new heads just has no skirt :/

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I have a few zoas that are being overtaken by gha. I'm going to try a peroxide dip but i'm unsure of the ratios(water/peroxide), also I'm not sure if I should use ro water or water from their tank? Any advice is appreciated, thank you

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I have a few zoas that are being overtaken by gha. I'm going to try a peroxide dip but i'm unsure of the ratios(water/peroxide), also I'm not sure if I should use ro water or water from their tank? Any advice is appreciated, thank you
I dip the zoas in a small plastic dish. Straight peroxide, 5 minute bath and a rinse in tank water then back to the display. Some zoas take days to reopen some open right up. I have dipped several zoas and lost none.
Hope this helps.

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip the zoas in a small plastic dish. Straight peroxide, 5 minute bath and a rinse in tank water then back to the display. Some zoas take days to reopen some open right up. I have dipped several zoas and lost none.
Hope this helps.
I dipped them in a 90/10 peroxide/tank water dip.I didn't get all of the gha off but enough that they're not smothered in it. I would of done a 100% peroxide dip but I didn't feel comfortable doing that. I will do 100% if I didn't fry these and I have to do it again. Thanks for the help.

Back