Zoantids questions

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fixture is only 0.5W LED, which may not be enough for zoas. I have used several different types of LED fixtures and the 3w LED ones that are dimmable have yielded the best results for me. That said, I have everything from softies to SPS in my current tank. I did use a 1W Marinland LED fixture, which the zoas and softies seemed to do just fine with.

Really, in order to gauge this, we need to know how deep your tank is. If you are only dealing with a 12" tank, then that fixture might do just fine.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the lights could be the issue. But if the lights are insufficient, shouldn't the zoas start reaching and extending for light rather than stay closed? That has been my experience.

FishOfHex

Reefer & 3D Printer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the lighting from eBay
I recommend you go with another light something like ebays aqua mars or SB Reef lights basic box. They are under $130 for sb and under $90 for aqua mars. You will be able to grow with these lights as you can grow sps if you chose.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reccomend an AI light unit. If you scrimp on lighting you will eventually pay for it in the long run. I scrimped on lighting for my first tank. Wasn't a good experience. Just my opinion.

FishOfHex

Reefer & 3D Printer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need to pay alot to get the growth. Go with sb reef lights they have a really good spectrum. i can grow any sps without a problem with those. In the end its your call.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back