Zoa's Little to No Growth since Novemeber 2020

ScoobyElla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am kinda at a crossroads here on what to do with the tank. I have not seen much growth from my Corals Especially my Zoas, and am very frustrated.

I have 2 Zoa's that are in poor shape. They started going down hil about 2 weeks ago and now they are barely hanging on. But they were nothing ever spectacular.
War Coral - was doing really good but now started to decay around the edges.
Chalice - Which is probably giving the best growth! And is very healthy IMO. I see other tanks and thier chalice grew much faster than mine.
GSP's which have not grown and was hoping they would bring more to the tank as I want it to grow everywhere
Hammer Corals - It was 3 heads for about 3 months and it has gone down to 2.

My most recent Tests (Saifert) which was last night before feeding was the following:
SG 1.026
Temp 78degrees
Ammonia - 0 - I dont test this usually but did when the corals were going down hill
Nitrates - 0 - I dont test this usually but did when the corals were going down hill
Nitrates - Less than 25ppm
PH - 8.1
Phosphate Less than .1
Alk - 7.7
Mag - 1350
Calcium - 250

I do a 15% Water Change Every 2 Weeks. I replace the HOB filters every 2 weeks at the same time. I run ChemPure every 3 months. I clean the HOB and Wave Makers every Month as well. I keep the front glass clean inside and outside and let the back and sides run wild.

Any other info needed should be in my Build Thread as I keep it updated.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're the second person in as many days with degrading coral and this light: Fluval 3.0 Marine LED. The specs are not spectacular and your tank and the other poster's one are pretty deep. Perhaps a lighting upgrade is in order. An AI Prime or two perhaps.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need some test with better resolution (under 25ppm and 0.1ppm doesn’t tell you much). Also Alk is borderline low and calcium is very low. What kind of water do you use for changes/top off?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need some test with better resolution (under 25ppm and 0.1ppm doesn’t tell you much). Also Alk is borderline low and calcium is very low. What kind of water do you use for changes/top off?
This.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk should be at least 8, calcium is 370 in natural seawater. Do you have a dosing regiment?

OP
OP
S

ScoobyElla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will update with a better resolution test. And I have a RODI unit that I use for everything.

OP
OP
S

ScoobyElla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk should be at least 8, calcium is 370 in natural seawater. Do you have a dosing regiment?
I have never dosed before. I kinda wanted to start this thread because I have realized I probably do need to start doing that and there’s just so much information out there. Kinda overwhelmed tbh.
Can you guys point me into the best direction to get these numbers up? Obviously I would prefer what the easiest and cost effective way first and if that doesn’t work, work my way up? What do you guys think?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never dosed before. I kinda wanted to start this thread because I have realized I probably do need to start doing that and there’s just so much information out there. Kinda overwhelmed tbh.
Can you guys point me into the best direction to get these numbers up? Obviously I would prefer what the easiest and cost effective way first and if that doesn’t work, work my way up? What do you guys think?
Water changes for now would be best. Do like 30% twice a week until your nitrate and phosphate are where you want them. I keep mine around 10 and .03. In the mean time order some salifert kits. If serious about coral you need accurate measurements. After the water changes get your nutrients where you want them, post your new test results. We'll go from there. The water changes will also help the other parameters.

OP
OP
S

ScoobyElla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes for now would be best. Do like 30% twice a week until your nitrate and phosphate are where you want them. I keep mine around 10 and .03. In the mean time order some salifert kits. If serious about coral you need accurate measurements. After the water changes get your nutrients where you want them, post your new test results. We'll go from there. The water changes will also help the other parameters.
I do use saifert. I just retested with better resolution, never saw that extra paragraph at the bottom of the instructions. Oops

nitrates: between 5 and 10
Phosphates: .05

I also went ahead and retested my RODI unit and everything was good there

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use saifert. I just retested with better resolution, never saw that extra paragraph at the bottom of the instructions. Oops

nitrates: between 5 and 10
Phosphates: .05

I also went ahead and retested my RODI unit and everything was good there
Never use the low resolution option. Even BRS says the same.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters look good then. Now on to light and flow?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard good things about amino acids and zoas. But they like dirtier water then most things and good light is key.

OP
OP
S

ScoobyElla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See the attached video, I have (2) Jebao Wave Makers SOW-4. One located on the RIght Glass Pane (Back Top Right Corner) to run Flow along the back of the tank and then hit the 2nd Wave Maker which is on the Left Pane which flows water to hit the front center pane. I can adjust both flow power and length between "waves".
file.jpeg

As @shwareefer noted I have a Fluval 3.0 Marine LED. And it might be time for an upgrade.
My lighting schedule is as it shows below.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the light. However upgrades never hurt.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back