Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 1
Phosphate 0.5
Alk 12
Calcium 430
Ph 8.2
Salinity 1.024

So recently i bought this beautiful zoas frag when I got home I dipped it and everything and it was fine. After a day or two of being in my tank I start to open up and everything was fine.

I wasn’t home for the weekend and when I came back they were flip over on the sand. I immediately pick them back up and put them where they need to be. It’s been a few weeks and they still haven’t opened. I dipped them again and nothing can off and I check at night for pest and still nothing.

They still have there color and when I dipped them they closed and everything thing so I think they are still alive.

Any idea why this is happening??
It’s also the same drag as my pfp if you see

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be crazy but isn't your PO4 a little high?I had an issue the other day and mine were starting to close up

Currierfarms14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have personally had this happen to me, and time is the healer of all in this hobby. They were most likely irritated and each zoa will take a different amount of time to re open. The hardest thing In this hobby is patience, but that should help solve this.
On a more particular note, I don’t like to keep my nitrates less than 5-10 ppm for zoas. In my experience they like a little more “dirtier water”. best of luck!

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be crazy but isn't your PO4 a little high?I had an issue the other day and mine were starting to close up
Thanks, I’ll try to lower it but to me that would make sense because I thought that zoas and soft corals like a little bit elevated nutrients and that is my only zoa doing that but I’ll try it thank you

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they do from my understanding but that seems high to me just make sure and do it slowly lol lost one of mine because I went to quick

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, PO4 is high - are you positive it isn’t .05? With NO3 at 1 (low), I would expect it to be a bit lower, but stranger things have happened. If numbers are accurate, work to elevate NO3 and reduce PO4, but otherwise (again, as mentioned), patience is key. Zoas are crazy hardy if the water parameters are decent. I had a pistol shrimp use a new frag as a den barricade for several weeks and it is now thriving just a few months later, albeit glued to the rock work now. Hang in there - I bet they will pull through.

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, PO4 is high - are you positive it isn’t .05? With NO3 at 1 (low), I would expect it to be a bit lower, but stranger things have happened. If numbers are accurate, work to elevate NO3 and reduce PO4, but otherwise (again, as mentioned), patience is key. Zoas are crazy hardy if the water parameters are decent. I had a pistol shrimp use a new frag as a den barricade for several weeks and it is now thriving just a few months later, albeit glued to the rock work now. Hang in there - I bet they will pull through.
I just check my PO4 was almost at zero it was in between 0 and 0.1

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you what happened to my frag. I was using my long brush to clean up a bit of algae, a couple weeks ago, off one rock. As I was pulling the brush out I I must have tipped the frag, without knowing, and I found it the following day on my substrate. I was so ticked for my carelessness. So I put in back and it's been a couple weeks. I lost 2 polyps of 5. I know they're not coming back. Thank goodness I didn't lose everything off it

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you what happened to my frag. I was using my long brush to clean up a bit of algae, a couple weeks ago, off one rock. As I was pulling the brush out I I must have tipped the frag, without knowing, and I found it the following day on my substrate. I was so ticked for my carelessness. So I put in back and it's been a couple weeks. I lost 2 polyps of 5. I know they're not coming back. Thank goodness I didn't lose everything off it
How would I know if the polyps are dying? Also if some of them are died should I cut them off the frag?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back