My very rare and sexy palys

IMG_20170324_200927.jpg

1490407715374339761534.jpg

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw this is common carribbean sea mat. It is a textbook paly morphologically. It is unique in that it grows faster (a couple mm/day) than almost all zoanthids (the order that contains all zoas, palys and similar coral) so it can be quite a grower but it is not aggressive. For example, it is being held in check on one side by my blue mushrooms. I've got one more image for you and it is from the study that found no genetic evidence between palys and protopalys (protopalythoa are what we in the hobby generally call palys). Protopalys were originally grouped because they have an emergent polyp. Genetically, the consensus is that the differences between protopalys and palys are no more tha the differences within protopalys and palys. They just differ in that some species have embedded polyps and some have emergent polyps.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm at it, here are some wild collected zoa's from the keys. Obviously not propagated by reefers for their beautiful color haha.
You can tell I'm not the kind of reefer seduced by bright colors or rarity (although I do appreciate those).

IMG_20170324_203341.jpg

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a rather paranoid not wanting to get zinged sort. With regards to "Paly's & Zoas" toxic tendencies anyway.
Is there any tried and true method to distinguishing one from the other.
I know to practice common sense with regards to handling them safely but accidents can and do happen and I rather minimalize my exposure to the lesser of 2 evils.

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to avoid zoanthids in general. Some species are worse than others; the research doesn't show that zoanthus are worse than palythoa on average but the worst offenders are generally palythoa. My paly has moderate levels but the concentration of PTX ranges considerably among individuals. The hawaiian palythoa is the worst and is the species in which PTX was first discovered. Also avoid wild caught butterflyfish (do they breed those in captivity), wild gorgonians, Chondria (a decorative macroalgae), wild urchins, wild anenomes and dinoflaggelates.
The reason I say wild in many cases is because dinos, zoanthids and some macroalgae produce PTX, it either (1)gets eaten and moves up the food chain or (2) gets absorbed by corals living adjacent to PTX producers . Any tank-propagated things are likely to have less exposure to PTX than in the wild.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to avoid zoanthids in general. Some species are worse than others; the research doesn't show that zoanthus are worse than palythoa on average but the worst offenders are generally palythoa. My paly has moderate levels but the concentration of PTX ranges considerably among individuals. The hawaiian palythoa is the worst and is the species in which PTX was first discovered. Also avoid wild caught butterflyfish (do they breed those in captivity), wild gorgonians, Chondria (a decorative macroalgae), wild urchins, wild anenomes and dinoflaggelates.
The reason I say wild in many cases is because dinos, zoanthids and some macroalgae produce PTX, it either (1)gets eaten and moves up the food chain or (2) gets absorbed by corals living adjacent to PTX producers . Any tank-propagated things are likely to have less exposure to PTX than in the wild.

Thanks.
Here is a good read I found with regards to the toxic pathogens in algae. For those so inclined.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wat/wq/reference/toxicalgae.html#algae2

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bet. I'm blessed by my employer to have access to elsevier/wiley/jstor/etc to read academic papers and have looked in PTX before, trying to see through what is claimed in the hobby. I want to clarify my statement by saying there's no rule of thumb that says a random zoanthus has any more or less PTX than a random palythoa, but we know with certainty that some specific palythoa spp. have significantly high amounts of PTX.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all great! Awesome zoa gardens and colonies guys! Keep them coming. I want to know what you guys/gals feed your zoas. I don't feed mine very often, but I tend to use oyster feast and reef roids when I have it.

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started a zoa/paly specialty tank 45 gallon back in December. Would post pictures but I am traveling right now. So I will post the when I get back.

Jeremiah G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some Zoanthus pulchellus I photographed near our place in the Bahamas.
Different colonies around the island have varying shades of green and blue.
Im sure more investigating next year will yield even more variability.
Some of these colonies were easily 3'x5'!!

16508628_10212223425964606_447114795531030954_n.jpg

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some Zoanthus pulchellus I photographed near our place in the Bahamas.
Different colonies around the island have varying shades of green and blue.
Im sure more investigating next year will yield even more variability.
Some of these colonies were easily 3'x5'!!

16508628_10212223425964606_447114795531030954_n.jpg

Ever hit them with some blue light? They look pretty shallow. May be more variable than you think!

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those Z. pulchellus are beautiful. Ah I really would love to set up a carribbean tank.
Is it okay if I link to this? http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/2/inverts According to that article, the zoas I shared are an undescribed spp. but I can't tell. Any idea Bahamasreeftank?

Meredith asked about food. I don't make it a habit to feed but on occasion I have given my 'proto' palys formula one. I find that is a good size for both protos, as well as my yellow polyps (Parazoanthus ?). Most of my zoa don't accept food and, much like an anenome, my 'true' palys will try to eat anything that land on them.

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those Z. pulchellus are beautiful. Ah I really would love to set up a carribbean tank.
Is it okay if I link to this? http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/2/inverts According to that article, the zoas I shared are an undescribed spp. but I can't tell. Any idea Bahamasreeftank?

Meredith asked about food. I don't make it a habit to feed but on occasion I have given my 'proto' palys formula one. I find that is a good size for both protos, as well as my yellow polyps (Parazoanthus ?). Most of my zoa don't accept food and, much like an anenome, my 'true' palys will try to eat anything that land on them.

Whenever I feed Reef Roids mixed with Polyp Booster the minute it hits the Zoas they curl up and seem to take in the food.

Mikemccafe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are the one coral that has me puzzled, Palys are doing great zoas don't want to open or are so slow to grow. Testing water tells me they should be fine higher light lower light etc., etc. they just don't like something

Jeremiah G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Feel free to link it. There are very few photos that I could find online of Z. pulchellus.
Your pictures are beautiful but I couldnt give you a positive ID.
The variability is staggering and some serious taxonomic research is need!

In this particular colony, at mid/low tide the top part of the colony was exposed to the air for hours at a time.
There was also a crab that lived in this tide pool (the whole area was filled with these zoas) who had them growing on him and it gives him a bug eyed appearance. (Sorry for the grainy picture).

unnamed.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back