Zoas/paly's purple/brown algae or goo

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, every day I come home from work my zoas are covered in this brown net looking stuff. It sticks on my other rocks and corals too.

What is this stuff and why is it always stuck to my zoas? I've also read palytoxins from zoa/plays is dangerous too. Is this it? A little nervous...

20190816_190124.jpg 20190816_190138.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like algae. How old is your tank, a few months?

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my tank is about 4 months old at the moment. I've been slowly adding fish/coral over the last 2 months. Everything seems to be doing well.

DINOS !!! NOOO !!!!! This is definitely my fear and what I was worried about. I've read a ton on the subject on here and no one seems to have a good solution. It doesn't seem too bad now so I'd rather fix the problem early before it gets worse. Can you guys offer any advice on what I should do? Thanks for any help, I've read dynos are awful.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my tank is about 4 months old at the moment. I've been slowly adding fish/coral over the last 2 months. Everything seems to be doing well.

DINOS !!! NOOO !!!!! This is definitely my fear and what I was worried about. I've read a ton on the subject on here and no one seems to have a good solution. It doesn't seem too bad now so I'd rather fix the problem early before it gets worse. Can you guys offer any advice on what I should do? Thanks for any help, I've read dynos are awful.
What’s your nutrient levels in your tank, how many fish and how many gallons? I had dinos when I started my tank. Adding a fish worked for me. Other people use UV or chemicals.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your nutrient levels in your tank, how many fish and how many gallons? I had dinos when I started my tank. Adding a fish worked for me. Other people use UV or chemicals.

I have a 40 Gallon All In One. Nitrate is about 5-8, phosphate .02-,10 (have to dose a bit of neophos to raise phosphate). I just added an Anthias (2 inches) on Tuesday to my pair of clowns (1.5 inches each) and a shrimp. I feed frozen & pellets 2 times a day. The dinos seem to have gotten worse over the last week since I've added a fish and a couple coral.

What type of chemicals would you suggest? Would it go away on its own?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold on, not sure we should call that dinos without a true confirmation under a scope. I had the same looking algae bloom right around the 3 mo mark which is why I asked. Lowered feeding, lowered light, constantly stirred my sand and increased water changes and after a couple weeks it went away. No chemicals or drastic measures necessary.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt even look like its hit the sand bed yet. I would pull the frag and manually remove all the algae you can. It may get worse before it gets better but I wouldn't panic yet.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately when I look closer it is in various parts of the sandbed. Some strands of this algae have little bubbles on top. The tank looks a lot better in the mornings than evenings. Any CUC that can help devour this stuff?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add a bunch of nassarius snails to help keep the sand stirred but it seems like not a lot of creatures like hairy type algae. I will say my starry blenny would take care of some of it, but it still started taking over for awhile.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to get a few more nassarius snails then for the algae on the sandbed and stir up more.

But I think I have 2 different problems here....just came home, more of this purple stuff on my plays, and one of the palys turned WHITE. Should I be worried it's going to release the palytoxin? 2 pictures below.

20190817_233339.jpg 20190817_234045.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back