Zoas Stretching for light with kessil a80 (is it strong enough?)

ColorReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats up reefers, I'm brand new to this site and also new to the hobby as well (I set up my first tank, a IM Nuvo 10 in April 2018). Anyways, like all of you, I am very addicted to zoanthids and have added about 25 different types to my tank in the past 7 months. I know, I have a problem :oops:.

I have a single kessil a80 to light my tank, i keep it on 90% intensity and 50% color. All my parameters are good. I also don't have any fish in the tank either. Nearly all of my zoas have stretched for the light since bringing them home. Even if at the fish store they were very flat against the frag plug, after a month or two in my tank they start to stretch out, one of my Utter Chaos Polps is over an inch long!

Do you think its my light? I keep fairly high flow, with my sicce .5 turned all the way up as well as a hydor Koralia powerhead running as well.

OP
OP
ColorReef

ColorReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I figured. I have my sights on an AI prime, Would like to get one lightly used if possible.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a different light.

I like the colors u can get from that on a pico tank but 15 watts on an im10 is just not enough.

Get the air and turn it down or diy one much cheaper.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your light is not strong enough so placement in your tank could be the major culprit, plus you have no fish so your tank is probably too pristine for Zoanthids and Palythoas. Are you feeding them something like Reef Frenzy or Reef Roids?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back