Zoas that are suppose to be yellow turning green

AnemoneFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have zoanthids that are supposed to be yellow and have turned green. Like the outer edge on wwc purple monster zoas. for example. I have yellow submarines that are still yellow and Blondies that are still yellow. I use Red Sea pro salt now I just order the blue bucket instead of using 12 dkh salt. My viper spectra lights are at 50% blue 1% white mounted 15 inches above water line. Why do some zoas that are suppose to be yellow turn green? I do weekly water changes so every parameter is Red Sea pro parameters. I just added the zoas to the tank a few weeks ago

Nitrates 10
Phosphates .05

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have zoanthids that are supposed to be yellow and have turned green. Like the outer edge on wwc purple monster zoas. for example. I have yellow submarines that are still yellow and Blondies that are still yellow. I use Red Sea pro salt now I just order the blue bucket instead of using 12 dkh salt. My viper spectra lights are at 50% blue 1% white mounted 15 inches above water line. Why do some zoas that are suppose to be yellow turn green? I do weekly water changes so every parameter is Red Sea pro parameters. I just added the zoas to the tank a few weeks ago

Nitrates 10
Phosphates .05
Zoa morph all the time. The way they look when you get them may not be how they stay in your tank. Also the yellow color may look more yellow when you see them under blue lights. I have pikachus that look green in white light ans are a stark yellow in blue lights. Photos below show my scrambled eggs and my pikachus under blue and white light. You can see they look more green under white lights.

EDIT: I personally don’t run my lights blue all the time. I’m not sure what difference it makes when determining color, if it makes a difference at all, but I believe stuff grows better when given some white light.
2F5FCD08-EB8D-4A08-B4A3-31C1256E230F.jpeg 5FDD7868-39C1-4747-AF47-744E15D1C5DC.jpeg 319CE76A-B3FF-4EF5-93C1-B1D09B257EAE.jpeg C9B92904-24EB-4B1B-B7C4-034E8616E7E5.jpeg

OP
OP
AnemoneFan

AnemoneFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it because the white light is on or off, because when all blues are on some of them are green. I think it’s the elevated levels in Red Sea pro salt. Anyone know exactly what causes it?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it because the white light is on or off, because when all blues are on some of them are green. I think it’s the elevated levels in Red Sea pro salt. Anyone know exactly what causes it?
I doubt it’s the salt but it’s possible. Zoa tend to change color based on where they are placed in rhe tank and if your lights are different spectrum from the tank they came from they’re likely to change a bit while they acclimate to your tank.

OP
OP
AnemoneFan

AnemoneFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wwc purple monster skirt is green instead of yellow. Super Saiyan skirt is green instead of yellow, and eagle eye skirt is green instead of yellow

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wwc purple monster skirt is green instead of yellow. Super Saiyan skirt is green instead of yellow, and eagle eye skirt is green instead of yellow
WWC purple monsters have a green skirt. It’s not supposed to be yellow. See mine in the center of the photo below. Eagle eyes are in between I feel like. I have some that are stark yellow and I have seen some that are green. Are you sure you’re not looking at fruit loops (pretty similar to eagle eyes IMO but more yellow skirts).

Attachments

• 6C0E8E3D-6B59-497B-BC5D-ECB6AC3B1C49.jpeg
    6C0E8E3D-6B59-497B-BC5D-ECB6AC3B1C49.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 55

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 112 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back