Zoas worth more if sell separately or in a colony?

Zinong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ready sells some Zoas colonies, want to have an idea which can makes more profit?
IMG-0578.jpg
n idea which can make more profit. What the price in the market now for the colony?

IMG-0575.jpg IMG-0576.jpg

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on what your doing.

What’s the market your selling to. If your selling locally depends on the people who might buy.

@footgal for some IDs!!

She can probably also tell you average prices. I’m at work so I’m not much help

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll always be able to get more money by selling smaller quantities but its also harder to sell them unless they're a desirable high end zoa. With yours, youd have better luck selling as a colony and youd lose a lot trying to get them off the rocks.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those zoas aren’t worth the time to frag them…
i’d sell as colonies
I disagree.

I frag zoas like these probably monthly and trade them in to my LFS for $10/frag.
Ready sells some Zoas colonies, want to have an idea which can makes more profit?
IMG-0578.jpg
n idea which can make more profit. What the price in the market now for the colony?

IMG-0575.jpg IMG-0576.jpg
Colonies, probably $50-$75

Like I said above, you can always frag them and sell for store credit. If you have any other more expensive corals, use these to attract interest. Post them on FB for $5/frag, and you'll get tons of people asking what else you have.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All pretty low end zoas, BEBB, Gatorade, pink zips just to name a couple. If I were you, I’d frag each colony up into 3 or 4 smaller colonies. Smaller colonies acclimate better to new tanks (IME) and you’ll have less trouble finding a buyer. Not many people want a gigantic rock full of zoas immediately dominating their entire scape :)

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Not bad zoas to have, however, it’s a matter of time and effort. I’ve made more money on utter chaos, rastas, beb, and Gatorade’s that I have most of my high ends put together. There’s always a market for these strains whether the go to a vendor or you list them yourself. You can turn all of those into 5-6p frags and easily sell them for $20-25 a piece to other hobbyists. However, is it worth your time in fragging, fragging materials, healtime, attrition rate (death) and then waiting on someone to come grab $40-50 worth of zoas here and there? If so you might want to start thinking about playing the long game.

As for them being ‘low end’ that’s bs in a way. Everyone has to start somewhere. The guy with the $50 monthly budget that hits u up every 5 weeks is just as good as the guy that comes and drops $300 on a few polyps twice a year. Is it worth shipping a pack of those? No, but between locals, vendors and people willing to swap you could do really well with what you have there.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lower colony is pink zippers. They would be considered medium end in my book. Very desirable if you fragged them and grew them into half a dozen head frags. Easily, easily get $25 for a small colony like that as long as they are nice and fat like the picture. Maybe more.

Personally I think that zipper rock is with $100 easily.

Funnily enough, if those zippers had a green spot in the center that would make them pink constellations. Price just went up 5x.

jmad147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree.

I frag zoas like these probably monthly and trade them in to my LFS for $10/frag.

Colonies, probably $50-$75

Like I said above, you can always frag them and sell for store credit. If you have any other more expensive corals, use these to attract interest. Post them on FB for $5/frag, and you'll get tons of people asking what else you have.
I agree, as someone new to zoas I would love the opportunity at "low end" zoas.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back