Zombie Fungia plate

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang

My fungia plate died around 6 months ago, but i kept it in the tank after hearing it might spawn some baby buds.

It did -

IMG_2159.JPG

What do I do with these guys? Leave them and feed them (phyto/reef roofs, mysis?) or pinch them off and move them somewhere quiet?

They do extend small tentacles at night and appear to swell up to around 150% when feeding

Thanks?

Snorkelsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leave them on the skeleton, they will break/move off on their own. You can feed them like any other plate coral as well to help promote growth.

hlem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never get rid of the original skeleton, even after the babies break off. new babies WILL continue growing. Even the babies that broke off and if they die, grand babies will grow off of those babies.

I have 3-4 generation worth of plates now.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never get rid of the original skeleton, even after the babies break off. new babies WILL continue growing. Even the babies that broke off and if they die, grand babies will grow off of those babies.

I have 3-4 generation worth of plates now.
Thanks

Typically how big are they when they break off?

hlem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Typically how big are they when they break off?

it varies by the individual plate. You can break them off anytime you like. My cluster have like 10 or so of them growing on top of each others. Some looks like its merged into one chuck. I like it that way. But i do break them off into singles at around 1"-1.5" so i can make a little $ :)

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. This particular plate has since spawned 38 baby plates, that I’ve counted. Several more smaller ones dropped off soon after budding but I havent been able to locate them since

trexodore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. This particular plate has since spawned 38 baby plates, that I’ve counted. Several more smaller ones dropped off soon after budding but I havent been able to locate them since
Did you keep it in the shade or in direct light?

Back