Zoo Med 50 Gallon Low Boy Frag Tank

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I wouldn't use sand in this tank personally.

I'm setting up another low boy tomorrow for frags. Got 4 more frag racks and plumbing etc. just have to drill the holes and plumb it to my main sump. Maybe I'll snag a bunch of iPhone pics to share with you all.

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to use this just for frags? Is so why not get rid of the sand?

Agreed, if the tank is full of frags, the sand would have very little use. I personally like the look of a frag tank that is aquascaped to some degree, but I do also want to enjoy the tank. Besides with no sump, I need some in there at least for filtration.

Yea I wouldn't use sand in this tank personally.

I'm setting up another low boy tomorrow for frags. Got 4 more frag racks and plumbing etc. just have to drill the holes and plumb it to my main sump. Maybe I'll snag a bunch of iPhone pics to share with you all.

Nice! I am looking forward to seeing what you have!

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set some rock in the tank and grow frags out on them. I will show you a pic of my low boy, I just set it up about a month ago. I do have a sump with rock in it but I also have some in the display for fish to feel secure and to grow frags on also. Just a thought if you want high flow is to get rid of sand. I have TWO maxspect gyes 250s running at 30% on this little lowboy. lol

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set the rock around the outside of the tank. I understand the sand if you look at the tank a lot. Mine is just set up in a spare room and I don't look at it all to much yet as there isn't much to look at yet. I look at my main display 100 times a day though, lol.

IMG_0006.JPG

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set the rock around the outside of the tank. I understand the sand if you look at the tank a lot. Mine is just set up in a spare room and I don't look at it all to much yet as there isn't much to look at yet. I look at my main display 100 times a day though, lol.

Looks great! What do you have the frags on?

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Travertine tiles. They were 4x4" but I broke them into 2. I wanted them to have room to grow out.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set some rock in the tank and grow frags out on them. I will show you a pic of my low boy, I just set it up about a month ago. I do have a sump with rock in it but I also have some in the display for fish to feel secure and to grow frags on also. Just a thought if you want high flow is to get rid of sand. I have TWO maxspect gyes 250s running at 30% on this little lowboy. lol
I was thinking about running a single gyre on each of mine. Do you think it will be enough to push the entire length of the tank?

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about running a single gyre on each of mine. Do you think it will be enough to push the entire length of the tank?

It is 100% more than powerful enough to reach the other side, even on 20%. I just went with two to have random flow and not have the corals hit with the flow the same direction all the time.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 100% more than powerful enough to reach the other side, even on 20%. I just went with two to have random flow and not have the corals hit with the flow the same direction all the time.
Thanks, since I put the tanks side by side I only have room for one on the end on the side. Didn't think about about not getting random flow since I've never used a gyre.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the pulse mode may help with the water flowing back and forth so it's not just going one direction always, as long as the wave doesn't get to high and splash over. The reverse mode on the gyre is pretty much useless.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have have fish in this system? If so, where do they hide to feel secure? I put some of the rock in the tank instead of all in the sump to make the fish feel secure.
Just a six line and small yellow tang. They have plenty spots to hide including under the frag racks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back