Zoo Med Frag Tank build idea

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good day everyone,

Looking to build a shallow beginners SPS frag tank, and looking for ANY, good bad or indifferent comments, suggestions, critics.

This build will be around the Zoo Med 50g Low Boy frag tank. So first, need to decide the best way to make this reef ready.

1. Should I drill the base in the corner or,
2. Drill the back with an overflow box.

Reason I choose this tank is that it will fit on a Petco metal stand which are about $50

BFT-50F_Low_Boy_Frag_Tank-1-1024x291.jpg

1505734-right-1

Next I'm going to match this up with a 20G Long from Petco as a sump. So any suggestions on the best way to setup a sump on a 20G Long.

That's it for now, look forward to any help.

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step one would be to determine if the panels are tempered. As far as plumbing, bottom or sides is fine, really depends on how you want to situate the tank.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 2.

Simply because I heard from a guy that heard from a guy that the base was tempered. Although ZooMed says otherwise.

I’m putting a box in a short side of the same tank after Christmas.

Nice avatar. I’m from Abergavenny originally.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steel Worker from Llanwern Steel works Newport. Had a friend who owned a pub in Clydach, spent many an hour there. Rest of family from west Wales. Small world now.:)

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step one would be to determine if the panels are tempered. As far as plumbing, bottom or sides is fine, really depends on how you want to situate the tank.

Supposed to be non tempered, but as @neilp2006 said, who knows. Had crossed my mind, but can check at the LFS before I buy.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cwmbran, pontypool and Merthyr Tydfal represent!!!

Been in US for 10 years now, but my dad’s side is all around pontypool.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tramped all over that area. I think Cwmbran had the first drive through McDonalds :). I left back in the 80's, not much left for me now, most have died. Mind you, I could kill for some Black Pudding, and bacon, plus a decent pint of Brains SA.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS just drilled 10 of those tanks through the bottom panel, so at least that portion is not tempered.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 2.

Simply because I heard from a guy that heard from a guy that the base was tempered. Although ZooMed says otherwise.

I’m putting a box in a short side of the same tank after Christmas.

Nice avatar. I’m from Abergavenny originally.

I just emailed the rep from Zoomed. I'll let everyone know what the answer is as soon as he gets back to me.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People said the same about aqueon 29g tanks...
f72e3056eb8ed717487f88f3dede1c3b.jpg

Check first, I’d say

There was a time in the last year and a half where both aqueon and perfecto were using tempered glass because of shortages of what they normally use. The marineland/perfecto ones at least had a big orange sticker that said tempered on it.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pntbll687 that just looks like my nightmare. Will be interested in the reply to your email.

Thanks @Kyl I had considered asking my LFS if they would do that.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a time in the last year and a half where both aqueon and perfecto were using tempered glass because of shortages of what they normally use. The marineland/perfecto ones at least had a big orange sticker that said tempered on it.

Yeah- I was one of the first people they actually admitted that nonsense to.

They couldn’t even track which tanks or assembly persons were using all tempered. And no stickers, either.
Ridiculous

That tank had 4 tempered panels

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- I was one of the first people they actually admitted that nonsense to.

They couldn’t even track which tanks or assembly persons were using all tempered. And no stickers, either.
Ridiculous

That tank had 4 tempered panels

The only reason I know is because I work in distribution and we get a heads up from the manufacturers SOMETIMES.

Just got the email back from zoomed rep. The tanks are non tempered and can be drilled on any side. All warranties are void by doing so.

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good day everyone,

This build will be around the Zoo Med 50g Low Boy frag tank. So first, need to decide the best way to make this reef ready.

Reason I choose this tank is that it will fit on a Petco metal stand which are about $50

That's it for now, look forward to any help.

Sorry, but could you point me to where you found a stand that will fit a 48" x 24" footprint? I only see the 40g and 55g stands on Pecto's site and neither are big enough. I'm also getting ready to start a very similar project. Thanks.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but could you point me to where you found a stand that will fit a 48" x 24" footprint? I only see the 40g and 55g stands on Pecto's site and neither are big enough. I'm also getting ready to start a very similar project. Thanks.

Sorry I screwed up, that fits a 40G Breeder, not the Zoo Med 50G Low Boy Frag Tank. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back