Zoology teacher w/125g tank

Khackman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! While I'm not exactly new to reef tanks, I haven't had the success I should because there is still so much I don't know. Hopefully, I can learn from some of y'all and get better at keeping my tank healthy. I currently have a good mix of LPS with a few SPS, and am running LEDs, but am really thinking about a newer programmable black box LED system. My water usually checks out fine, but I'm having trouble with cyano right now.

Any advise and help is definitely appreciated. The tank is really important for a variety of reasons- it is in my classroom and is used as a teaching tool, as so much of what we study can be found in a good reef system.

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! While I'm not exactly new to reef tanks, I haven't had the success I should because there is still so much I don't know. Hopefully, I can learn from some of y'all and get better at keeping my tank healthy. I currently have a good mix of LPS with a few SPS, and am running LEDs, but am really thinking about a newer programmable black box LED system. My water usually checks out fine, but I'm having trouble with cyano right now.

Any advise and help is definitely appreciated. The tank is really important for a variety of reasons- it is in my classroom and is used as a teaching tool, as so much of what we study can be found in a good reef system.
Use chemi clean for red slime it will help trust me and send me a pm if you wanna ask any questions or need help :)

OP
OP
Khackman

Khackman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use chemi clean for red slime it will help trust me and send me a pm if you wanna ask any questions or need help :)

I am awaiting an order of Chemiclean from the LFS now. (I have now waited 2 weeks!) My problem is that I'm not sure what caused the imbalance to begin with. My water always checks out fine.

OP
OP
Khackman

Khackman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And..... Great first post. /sarcasm

I forgot to mention that my tank is a 125 with about 120 lbs of LR, and contains a fair mix of inverts, three tangs of various species and a sebae clown.

I also just noticed that people were asking for pics from newbies to the site, so I will get those later.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! The chemiclean will help to rid your tank of the cyano, but you should still try to pinpoint the cause. Wether it be lack of flow or too much nutrients. Also follow the directions carefully and make sure to aerate the water. Best of luck!

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And your skimmer will go nuts. I used this about 3 weeks ago. First dose little change. Second dose got it about 50% better. Over the next week it all went away. I did this after exhausting all the other alternatives.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and looks like you are in good hands so far, keep asking questions!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back