zoos dieing

reefone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been having some problems with my zoos. some kind of fungas seems to be killling them. it starts out of the blue one day they will be fine the next not so much. ive tried dips with lugols & fw,seachems reef dip & tank water diped them for 5-7 minutes. this seems to help but not realy. all perams r in check and its been up for 9 months. the polyps seem to turn inside out and discolor or thy will close up and get a brown coating over them. im at my wits end with this tank. ive also got a frag tank that i use the same water & salt with no problems at all.

thanks

Picture057.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Picture048.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture044.jpg

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is near? them how long have you had them? what kind of light do you have? and what kind where they came from? what are you tank parameter today? What fish do you have?

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, a few ideas come to mind. It may be an issue with light or flow or perhaps there is something in the tank eating them as the skirts on some of the polyps look chewed or missng. I hope you can figure it out!

OP
OP
R

reefone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a ap24 its happening all over the tank. some zoos r on rocks with only other zoos nothing else. so i know its not fighting with other corals i dont have pests i sit and watch the tank all the time day and night. the lighting is 70w mh. ive had these for over 6 months its happening to more than one colony. the only fish i have r 2 false clowns and a six line. i havent tested today as this has been happening for a couple weeks. but when i did test last ammonia 0 nitrites/rates 0 ph 8.0-8.2 cal. 380-400 alk 8-9 sg .025 they havent changed.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had the same problem with a set of Bam-Bams. For no reason whatsoever I lost 2-3 polyps a day until they were gone and used every intervention method to save them. A systems crash in my 180g would run me about $1k in zoas! I would be angry to say the least!

I suspect either a virus or a bacterial infection. Did you get any of those blue African zoas? My problems started after they died for no reason. I only had 3 $40 polyps so that wasn't that bad. They may of been a carrier of a virus.

Next time I will QT and dose with an antibiotic to see if it saves them. Hopefully I won't have to.

I also lost that sweet rock of Yumas I scored. In a 2 day period they melted and were right next to a dozen healthy rics. Go figure.

OP
OP
R

reefone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what mine r doing 2-3 polyps a day until all gone and if u cut the bad ones off it seems to die faster. yes i did get some of those african zoos and they did die.... 3 frags. my problem also started after this happened but i also added a couple other frags but they seem fine. x2 on the ot im setting up a new tank and i dont think anything is coming over to it from this one:( ive got some nice pieces in there but i dont think i can chance it bringing this over.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would try a long furan2 bath in tank water.....Don't actually dose the tank but take water out in abowl and dose them for 1/2 hour or more......

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan2 is antifungal right?
I would add Eurothomycin to it also. 500mg
Make the dip 2 gal of water and leave for one hour with airstone in bucket.
I never saw fungal infection but may be fungus.(brown?)

Let us know if it saves them.

efishnsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem with some tubs blues. I cannot seem to get them cured. I just started a Iodine treatment last night I'll let you know if i have any luck.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back