48x18x16 or 48x24x16?

Sixdinnersquid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all, quick question regarding tank options that I'm considering. For context, I've been planning on changing the geometry of the system for some time, but a sump leak has accelerated my plans significantly.

Considering doing a tank oriented in peninsula style against a wall, flat against my home office desk. My two options are a 48"x18"x16" (LWH) Aqueon 60 breeder or a 48"x24"x16" Aquarium Masters 80.

Here are the questions for the group:
1. what am I likely to regret about that extra 6" if I go with the wide one, and;
2. what will I miss about that 6" if I go with the narrow one?

Aside from the width, the only reasons for one or the other are a trivial price difference and a potentially greater difficulty plumbing the wider one.

Tell me what you think! (And quickly!)

Scott

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I think you will regret is the height. Do a aquarium masters 90 or 120. 18 deep to 24 deep. I ran a 75 then a 90. That little difference in height makes a huge difference. I don't think you will be happy 16 tall unless you have already had that size before

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 24” width will allow you the build a nice bomie with plenty of swimming room on both sides. Difficult in the smaller size. I couldn’t do that in a standard 55 which i think is the same width.

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all, quick question regarding tank options that I'm considering. For context, I've been planning on changing the geometry of the system for some time, but a sump leak has accelerated my plans significantly.

Considering doing a tank oriented in peninsula style against a wall, flat against my home office desk. My two options are a 48"x18"x16" (LWH) Aqueon 60 breeder or a 48"x24"x16" Aquarium Masters 80.

Here are the questions for the group:
1. what am I likely to regret about that extra 6" if I go with the wide one, and;
2. what will I miss about that 6" if I go with the narrow one?

Aside from the width, the only reasons for one or the other are a trivial price difference and a potentially greater difficulty plumbing the wider one.

Tell me what you think! (And quickly!)

Scott
1. Absolutely nothing only being 24". When you get to 36"+ it can be a bit difficult to reach the back, but 24" should be no problem at all.
2. Your tank will make your fish look/swim like they are living in a tiny prison cell and you will feel bad and hate it.

ireneealbrams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately, the choice depends on your priorities: if space for creativity and the stability of the ecosystem are more important to you, choose a wider aquarium. It’s definitely not up to us to decide here. It's hard for me to even imagine the size. At school I always used geometry help, I found https://edubirdie.com/geometry-help for myself. I need at least a comparison photo so I can understand. In general, if it is important to save space and simplify maintenance, then the narrow option will be better. If they write that 48x24 is better, then it probably is.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 36 15.3%
  • No

Votes: 174 73.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.0%
Back