A German Blue Digitata……Any hardcore fans?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four months to the day, (ago) I purchased a German Blue Digitata at a local FRAG club here in Arizona. Besides 7 other sps corals, this one really stood out. The description of “blue” in its name added some mystery to the purchase as it wasn’t blue. More of a teal color. In just 4 months, its skinny branches have bulked up to look more like Popeye forearms. It’s encrusted onto the live rock below it. Coral growth is a bit slow, but just a bit. It’s fast enough that when you photograph it on purchase day then photograph it months later and see the progress, it’s very rewarding.

Any GBD colony owners who might share a photo or two? Thanks.

IMG_5033.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
German Blue Digitata
I have been considering getting a frag again.
its skinny branches have bulked up to look more like Popeye forearms. It’s encrusted onto the live rock below it.
Yours looks really thick, so it seems to be planning to grow huge in that space and it needs a fat trunk to hang many massive branches off of as it starts growing up and out in the near future. I bet its huge (between softball and basketball) sized by next year at this time.
I don't have any old pictures handy. I got rid of mine many years ago because it grew too quickly and I wanted too many corals, which complicated the tank for sure.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four months to the day, (ago) I purchased a German Blue Digitata at a local FRAG club here in Arizona. Besides 7 other sps corals, this one really stood out. The description of “blue” in its name added some mystery to the purchase as it wasn’t blue. More of a teal color. In just 4 months, its skinny branches have bulked up to look more like Popeye forearms. It’s encrusted onto the live rock below it. Coral growth is a bit slow, but just a bit. It’s fast enough that when you photograph it on purchase day then photograph it months later and see the progress, it’s very rewarding.

IMG_5033.jpeg
Yours seems very "chunky" for a German Blue. But flow and lighting really make a difference in how a coral grows.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know, I have a couple "accidental frags" right now.
But then you would have to drive up here....
Thanks for the kind offer. After reading the reminders of how fast this grows, I think I will pass. :cool:

Tempting though, it is very beautiful and fun to watch spread, until it gets too big.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine grew right to the edge of the water surface. During water changes 5 inches of the coral sat out of the water in dry air for maybe 20 minutes but never was an issue for it.

Back