Acro Density

RedOtterCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if there's any real way to quantify this, but I'd love to hear from the heavy stick heads.

I've grown SPS in the past but my current build I'm hoping for a stick-dominated tank (wife likes the flowy stuff so we will see).

Does anyone have a 'density' of acropora that they like to stick to, or have seen success with?

I'd love to pack my tank, a 4x2 foot low, and was just curious what you shoot for for mid-sized colonies.

Last thing I'd want is to get too crowded and impact growth

*side note, if you have a ***** packed stick tank, would love to see some pics as inspo!

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if there's any real way to quantify this, but I'd love to hear from the heavy stick heads.

I've grown SPS in the past but my current build I'm hoping for a stick-dominated tank (wife likes the flowy stuff so we will see).

Does anyone have a 'density' of acropora that they like to stick to, or have seen success with?

I'd love to pack my tank, a 4x2 foot low, and was just curious what you shoot for for mid-sized colonies.

Last thing I'd want is to get too crowded and impact growth

*side note, if you have a ***** packed stick tank, would love to see some pics as inspo!
I would put it on a frag piece and attach it to a rock lol. You could also do what @Reefer Matt does he's pretty experienced with them

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed stony reef - top is acros and other sticks, below are micromussa, euphyllia, etc.

The density that I like to achieve is as much growth at the top as possible :) Having a ton of frags helps you to have options for flow adjustments and light adjustments, and my colonies help break up the flow and lightly shadow my LPS below.

OP
OP
R

RedOtterCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put it on a frag piece and attach it to a rock lol. You could also do what @Reefer Matt does he's pretty experienced with them
I'm not necessarily wondering on the 'how' of attachment, as I've had no issues on that in the past.

I'm just wondering at what point is it too many frags that you affect colony development

OP
OP
R

RedOtterCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed stony reef - top is acros and other sticks, below are micromussa, euphyllia, etc.

The density that I like to achieve is as much growth at the top as possible :) Having a ton of frags helps you to have options for flow adjustments and light adjustments, and my colonies help break up the flow and lightly shadow my LPS below.
That's a great strategy! Do you have any pictures of your tank?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Density depends on how the stick grows so sometimes hard to predict. I let them grow until (and if) they impede someone else. Many times the grow towards each other but before touching, the branch away, if not, I trim them a bit.

IMG_0061.jpeg

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-4" apart on all mine, some a little further a few a little less. Things are growing in nicely with only a little warfare so far mostly just with my sunset montipora. 4x2x2 120gal. Dont mind the sand, just getting over a spring time dino bloom amd dealing with the cyano that followed it.
20240515_164408.jpg

OP
OP
R

RedOtterCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-4" apart on all mine, some a little further a few a little less. Things are growing in nicely with only a little warfare so far mostly just with my sunset montipora. 4x2x2 120gal. Dont mind the sand, just getting over a spring time dino bloom amd dealing with the cyano that followed it.
20240515_164408.jpg
Your growth looks great! How long have you had the tank running for?

Back