Algae Growing on Zoa

Cannons Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple frags of zoanthids in my tank and 2 of them have algae growing on them. I have tried to scrub it off with a toothbrush but I didn't want to scrub too hard because I was afraid that I would kill them. Has anyone else had this problem before or do you know how to get rid of the algae without hurting the zoanthids?

IMG_1720.jpg

Sorry about the bad picture, If you need a better one I can try to get a better one

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about scrubbing them too hard, there hardy little boys.

guywithatank1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can give it a real bit of force wen scrubing them. when they are closed they are rock solid. you could also try consistentely putting a snail in that area. after a couple times they seemed to get the point in my tank. make sure it is a snail you can recognise though. good luck

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull them out and give them a quick dip in a 4:1 mix of tank water and 3% H2O2. A minute or two will do it. The zoas will close up and pout for a few days, but the algae will melt away

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely need to get rid of that algae. GHA will take over a zoa colony past the pint of recovery, and will eventually choke it out.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have multiple frags of zoanthids in my tank and 2 of them have algae growing on them. I have tried to scrub it off with a toothbrush but I didn't want to scrub too hard because I was afraid that I would kill them. Has anyone else had this problem before or do you know how to get rid of the algae without hurting the zoanthids?

IMG_1720.jpg

Sorry about the bad picture, If you need a better one I can try to get a better one
I use 4 ounces of tank water, 1 ounce of peroxide to scrub off gha. I do it for all frags as it does happen. You can soak it for a few minutes as well.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide works well i agree. Also would say in my experience manual removal like that is much easier with tweezers than toothbrush.

Just dont use your wife's fancy tweezers...she is still ticked about that

MrFus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question here...

I'm having the same problem with green hair algae growing on my zoas, problem is that a couple of the plugs are glued on some medium size rocks so dipping the thing is not possible, I saw a video of someone "spot treating" areas with green hair algae, he turned off the pumps to keep water movement to minimum and with a syringe loaded with peroxide (3% solution if I'm not mistaking) squirted slowly the algae patches, on the video you can see how the area around the algae bubbles due the oxidizing process from the H2O2 and he mentioned that 2 or 3 times will be more than enough to break the algae to the point that using a turkey blaster will be enough to take care of the algae.

Could the same technique be used on the zoa plugs?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get off high ends that are very particular? Its coming off of new acrylic frag racks! I keep cleaning the racks with peroxide and it comes back!

Back