Anyone ever thought of collecting sea water and filling a tank with it?

Jhbard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think there is probably a high risk of things like
disease, pollutants, parasites and more
Still I think it is a interesting idea.

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Waaay back in the day, that's how it was done. The problem with doing so is the shoreline is typically the dirtiest part of the ocean. Think of the way action as nature's protein skimmer. So ideally, you could do it but you probably want to get your water from away from the beach. Also, you'll be bringing in all of the planktonic good and bad that float around. A lot of beneficial and harmful hitchhikers have a planktonic phase of their development. And finally, the ocean harbors more viruses than stars in the galaxy. So long story short, may not be worth the risk.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added seawater to my first 180g tank - it is collected far offshore here in San Diego county - and it was a good way to jumpstart the tank and helps avoid some cycling (along with lots of live rock). They have a service here that does this (i did it through my LFS)

MrStoffel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is in fact something fairly common in the hobby in belgium & the netherlands.
We have a well known spot with great water quality, because it has oyster and lobster farms nearby.
People go there and pump up water, ranging from a few liters, to full truck loads being sold by local fish stores.
We do need to add some extra salt, since the salinity is slightly lower than preferred for a reef tank.
And it is also recommended to gather water right before high tide. Also during summer we try to avoid it, as it is said that there would be more pollutants in the water at that time.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a few discussions about this, if theres a sea life center near you maybe talk to them and see if they will hook you up with there water. My friend used to get his from the sealife center and his tank was very healthy. The center is 180 miles from me but he had job that would take him there weekly to that town. He got to be friends with the operators and they would hook him up water.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think there is probably a high risk of things like
disease, pollutants, parasites and more
Still I think it is a interesting idea.

Yes, they are called NSW tanks (natural sea water) tanks.

Many people here on R2R use NSW. I would, except, the area I live in has a harbor with big commercial ships. I would't chance the water around here.

OP
OP
Jhbard

Jhbard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on doing something like this with a 40 gal and adding some small fish and invertebrates. From a bay or tidepool of course not taking anything I shouldn't.

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interestingly, the Shedd Aquarium in 1930 shipped 1M US gallons of seawater from oceans via railroad for their saltwater exhibits! A lot of coastal farms/aquaculture facilities have their systems directly plumbed to the ocean, but yes it comes with a new set of engineering considerations.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing that for 54 years, I collected it yesterday. I just back up to an ocean and fill tanks in my Jeep. No problems yet, but the day is young. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I have no concern for diseases or parasites because I keep my fish immune so it's no problem but if you are worried about such things you will have to treat the water one way or another.

I do have a concern about taking it just after a rain storm. Around here on Long Island it is all farms and golf courses so after a storm the sea is loaded with fertilizer. I have a little more algae in my tank now than I would like and it is directly because of that so now I mix it half with fake water. But I always take some mud or sand from the surf for the bacteria.

Remember, virtually all our fish and corals except maybe 3 came from real sea water and I have been to many of the places where they are collected. Many of those places are in harbors and not very clean.

I think you should ask "Why do people use fake water if they live near the sea"?

I started my tank in 1971 with water from here. The East River that runs past Manhattan. Probably not one of my best ideas. :confused::thinking-face:

Last edited:

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using NSW 20 years, incoming tide or offshore
The LFS sell synthetic or natural sea water.
Not sure if guy is still in business, has/had a tanker truck and would deliver NSW, also pump out and refill tanks.
Would also provide water for the local frag swaps that used to happen

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of filter?
I have a cheap old diatom filter on it's last legs. You can DIY one

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There used to be a guy in Palm Beach county called deep water Doug that would bring NSW to your house. Jupiter inlet during incoming tide is probably the cleanest you'll find in south Florida. I've done it multiple times with no problems.

Skywater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use sea water off the beach in NJ....Sandy Hook. I use a filter and adjust the salinity.
I wish l lived near an ocean, rather than Lake Michigan. Then I would definitely collect ocean water.... I remember reading in Martin Moe's books, all the micro sealife found in his plankton sieves.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using NSW 20 years, incoming tide or offshore
The LFS sell synthetic or natural sea water.
Not sure if guy is still in business, has/had a tanker truck and would deliver NSW, also pump out and refill tanks.
Would also provide water for the local frag swaps that used to happen
We have a guy here in So. Cal that does that, myself and my dad started a few tanks with his nsw water over the years.

The guy had a big water tank that held 400g of nsw water or man made water on the back of a F-450 truck and delivered to you.

Now I just take a few collapsible 5 gal jugs out past the breakwater and suck it out the ocean, run it through some cheesecloth and dump it in the tank.

Back