Are Shaving Razor Blades Reef Safe?!

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a curved glass aquarium bowl. Corraline is absolutely taking over. I am not sure what can work to get this off except a flexible razor like a shaving razor. I am just a little nervous because they all say "platinum coating".

Are these still reef safe? If not is there a better alternative for me? Magnafloat wont get it off.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not a razor blade?
They dont have any flexibility and wont bend. I tried using some plyers but they it just snaps the metal off. I need something slightly flexible to bend to the curve shape of the tank. A shaving razor was suggested to me - just scared about the "platinum coatings" I see on every single one!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I used to leave my mag scraper in the tank with double edged safety razors in it. I have had more than one partially dissolve over months. I would not say it is a good idea but short term exposure would be fine. I would be careful trying to hold one to scrape though, cuts and the biology of your tank are not a good mix. There are several brands of scrapers that will accept double sided safety razor blades.

Just search amazon...

1716339579180.png

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's safe or not as an absolute.

But here is my anecdotal "I've been doing it on a long handled scraper for upwards of 5 years." Exactly like Bean Animal posted.

I've been doing it on a long handled scraper for upwards of 5 years. I disassemble, clean, and complete dry it after each use. Specifically little safety razor blades. If you need some flex for curves, sandwich it between thin flexible credit cards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I used to leave my mag scraper in the tank with double edged safety razors in it. I have had more than one partially dissolve over months. I would not say it is a good idea but short term exposure would be fine. I would be careful trying to hold one to scrape though, cuts and the biology of your tank are not a good mix. There are several brands of scrapers that will accept double sided safety razor blades.

Just search amazon...

1716339579180.png
I appreciate that! From my experience with my tank my cuts heal super fast after putting my arms in the tank after the initial saltwater burn. I am a mover so I have cuts on my arms and hands almost every day. I know this can still be a risk with the coral toxins and other crazy bacteria, but the only damage I have ever gotten in my 15 years in the hobby is from directly touching corals on my underarm. Almost had to go the hospital once. I think because the very unique and odd dimensions of my tank - a 5 gallon bowl I found on amazon - using a scraper will not be possible. I am still going to get one of these for my other tank! Great recommendation.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate that! From my experience with my tank my cuts heal super fast after putting my arms in the tank after the initial saltwater burn.
Yes - I surfed for many years and being in the ocean with a healthy immune system was certainly good for healing.

Your reef aquarium is NOT the ocean. You need to be acutely aware that most of our reef aquariums carry deadly viruses and bacterium such as Vibrio Vulnificus, Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae, etc. While infections are not the norm, open cuts, sores or wounds are extremely dangerous even for somebody with a healthy immune system.

You may have been lucky to this point, but I would not tempt fate.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I surfed for many years and being in the ocean with a healthy immune system was certainly good for healing.

Your reef aquarium is NOT the ocean. You need to be acutely aware that most of our reef aquariums carry deadly viruses and bacterium such as Vibrio Vulnificus, Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae, etc. While infections are not the norm, open cuts, sores or wounds are extremely dangerous even for somebody with a healthy immune system.

Sadly I have a bunch of Nanos and tiny nimble hands. I cant use reef safe gloves and effectively clean my tanks, do maintenance, and frag corals. It just is a risk I will have to take. I do not mean to disregard your warning at all, but at this point though I have probably exposed cuts in my tank hundreds or around a thousand times. Again I have been in the hobby for 15+ years.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This I did not know. Thank you.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This scraper is absolutely useless though besides maybe a small film of diatoms on the glass. It has no leverage to get thicker algae or corraline off. Surprised y’all have success with this. Glad I have Amazon prime!

Back