Can anyone help me ID this fish?

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up what my LFS was selling as a starki damsel. Great looking fish, calm and WILDLY blue. I think it’s a juvenile starki but I would appreciate others insight and if I need to return it or not.

Attachments

• IMG_7711.mov
    25.2 MB
OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some research on starki’s and they seemed like a more peaceful damselfish but only 1 per tank. He’s calm, doesn’t go after the others in the tank and likes his cave.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up what my LFS was selling as a starki damsel. Great looking fish, calm and WILDLY blue. I think it’s a juvenile starki but I would appreciate others insight and if I need to return it or not.
Can you get a photo?
Very few of us are likely to be able to see the video due to iphones.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_7774.jpeg
    IMG_7774.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 37

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely a Fijian Blue Devil Damsel. I’d say rehome him as fast as possible if he is in a 30G tank, 40-50G reduces aggression from these guys but the bigger the territory the better.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is a little stunner but they turn into pain in the *****
A lot of damsel are great colours and markings but they are aggressive to others tank mates .

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely a Fijian Blue Devil Damsel. I’d say rehome him as fast as possible if he is in a 30G tank, 40-50G reduces aggression from these guys but the bigger the territory the better.
He’s in a 40 breeder right now but I’m in talks with a fellow from FB marketplace about a 75gal tank and stand for 150. There’s also about 50lbs or rock in there with tons of caves. I know I’ll have to tear the tank apart to get him out. Boo on me for not double checking.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a Chrysiptera taupou AKA Fiji Blue Devil. They’re generally considered to be one of the more aggressive Damselfish though you may get lucky.
She’s been in the tank less than 24hrs and all the fish went up to her when introduced. I’m at work right now but will definitely post an update when I get home to see what everyone’s doing. Everyone seems to be ok so far, but, been less than 24hrs so no chance to be established.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is a little stunner but they turn into pain in the *****
A lot of damsel are great colours and markings but they are aggressive to others tank mates .
Gorgeous looking fish, love the colors. That’s what drew me to it. But, now that I know it’s a Fiji blue devil, I’ll see what’s happened over the course of the night. If everyone is tucked in a corner, I’ll yank her out and take her back.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous looking fish, love the colors. That’s what drew me to it. But, now that I know it’s a Fiji blue devil, I’ll see what’s happened over the course of the night. If everyone is tucked in a corner, I’ll yank her out and take her back.
Now @i cant think might of read this .
But someone on the forum was trying a tank of damsels but crowding them like Malawi fish to stop aggression all the same species
Don’t know if they succeeded or they all ate each other lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now @i cant think might of read this .
But someone on the forum was trying a tank of damsels but crowding them like Malawi fish to stop aggression all the same species
Don’t know if they succeeded or they all ate each other lol
I remember that thread, I don’t believe the OP ever attempted it but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I do have good news. The damsel hasn't harassed anyone over the course of the night. No nipped fins, no bite marks and no one tucked into a corner or hiding when I got home. In fact, it came right up to me when I went to look over my tank and swam happily next to my clownfish and melanurus wrasse when I went to feed the tank for the morning. Didn’t chase anyone for food and after eating retreated to a cave.

She seems fairly well mannered and at my LFS was in the same tank as another Fiji blue devil, so I wonder if they came from the same tank (surrendered) or weren’t labeled yet from a shipment. Very active swimmer at any level and just fun to watch. I feel like having her is causing the other fish to be more adventurous and leave their safe spots.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about an update on the blue devil. I hope all is well

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye< Mine was sweet as pie when introduced but now last fish in tank and harrases every new fish to death or to jumping! I am getting a lid but cant decide If I should turn my tank into aggressive fish only or hope and pray if I introduce 2 clown together and another damsel perhaps or a closley related black and gold chromis and/or a 6 line wrasse (lots of bristle worms) I am wanting to buy from a certain store and not much selection!!

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 170 73.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.3%
Back