Chalk Bass with bubble on eye

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this fish for 3 months now and noticed this today. The fish is eating just fine. I did notice it because the fish is just on the sand bed when they are usually more active and not perches. See the attached picture. What is this? what causes it and can I treat it?

tempImageAi1NDM.jpg
tempImagedl42EE.jpg

Thanks,

Adam

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like a result o
I have had this fish for 3 months now and noticed this today. The fish is eating just fine. I did notice it because the fish is just on the sand bed when they are usually more active and not perches. See the attached picture. What is this? what causes it and can I treat it?

tempImageAi1NDM.jpg
tempImagedl42EE.jpg

Thanks,

Adam
h gas embolism but can also be mechanical injury
While this could subside on its own, I don’t play with eye issues and recommend treatment with Maracyn as below in a separate tank for at least 5 days

IMG_2743.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed - these gas bubbles are a result of a strike injury. They sometimes reabsorb on their own, but other times, the fish loses the eye. There isn't a "treatment" per-se because there is not an infection here, just the gas that came out of the fish's blood stream. I've tried removing the gas with a fine needle (on larger fish) and I also tried a pressure chamber, but I never found that to be a permanent solution, the bubbles always returned, probably due to the extra handling involved.

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've given up on the chaulk bass for this exact reason. I've had two, at different times. Both bought as very young individuals which grew to a healthy adult only to suddenly develop these eye bubbles. Over the course of a week or a month they would heal, and the fish would look normal only to return within a week or month. The last fish had this repeat like 6 times before it eventually died. Perhaps another fish was picking on it, but I never saw it.

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've given up on the chaulk bass for this exact reason. I've had two, at different times. Both bought as very young individuals which grew to a healthy adult only to suddenly develop these eye bubbles. Over the course of a week or a month they would heal, and the fish would look normal only to return within a week or month. The last fish had this repeat like 6 times before it eventually died. Perhaps another fish was picking on it, but I never saw it.
Ugh. I really want a chalkie, I hope this isn't an issue with the species

nickijon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing in this with you OP, our chalk basslet is not doing well after years of thriving and eating well. It has a bad right eye. Starting to get lethargic today/yesterday. Have E.M. Erythromycin on hand, going to try netting it out and treating it separately..

Back