Coral Snow Behavior

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started dosing Coral Snow last week. I don't have a sump so no filter sock. I do have a canister filter though and I recently changed the sponges. When I turned the canister filter back on, a bunch of big white particles came shooting out of the return. At first I thought it was sponge particles, so I put my old sponges back in and ran the return into a 50mic 7" filter sock for a couple of hours and thought I was good. A few days later, I dosed more Coral Snow and the same thing happened. I thought that maybe the Coral snow reacted with something caked in the lines of my canister filter and knocked them loose so I did the filter sock thing again. Yesterday, I dosed Coral Snow again and the same thing happened. It finally dawned on me that it is the Coral Snow that I am seeing. Am I correct?

Dolphin2409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing Coral Snow last week. I don't have a sump so no filter sock. I do have a canister filter though and I recently changed the sponges. When I turned the canister filter back on, a bunch of big white particles came shooting out of the return. At first I thought it was sponge particles, so I put my old sponges back in and ran the return into a 50mic 7" filter sock for a couple of hours and thought I was good. A few days later, I dosed more Coral Snow and the same thing happened. I thought that maybe the Coral snow reacted with something caked in the lines of my canister filter and knocked them loose so I did the filter sock thing again. Yesterday, I dosed Coral Snow again and the same thing happened. It finally dawned on me that it is the Coral Snow that I am seeing. Am I correct?
Why are you switching off the canister filter when dosing?

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why are you switching off the canister filter when dosing?
The goal of coral snow is to bind to all the floaters and it helps the Microbacter7 bind to the rock. I'll circulate for 30min and then turn the pump on. The same goes for a sump.turn your return off for 30min.

Back