Court Jester Goby + Neon Cleaner Goby?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was looking at getting both from Biota (going for a fully Captive bred system) and wondering if they can be housed together in a 50gal? Both would be introduced same time.

Thanks!

#reefsquad

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup They will be fine. They occupy different spaces with the Rainford being more on the sand and low rocks while the cleaner goby will be more up top and swimming around or perching on the rocks/glass
Okay thanks! Tank is pretty lightly stocked with only 2 cardinals and a mcoskers wrasse and a possum wrasse so hopefully everyone gets along lol

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup They will be fine. They occupy different spaces with the Rainford being more on the sand and low rocks while the cleaner goby will be more up top and swimming around or perching on the rocks/glass
What about a diamond/sand sifting goby as well?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a diamond/sand sifting goby as well?
They may have issues as both like to sift the sand.

And as @steveschuerger said, diamond gobies will cover anything on the sand bed.

I much prefer the Rainfords. They don’t cover corals with sand and IMO they look ALOT cooler than other gobies. Almost like a mini wrasse in their coloration patterns. I have 5 Rainfords in my 220.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And as @steveschuerger said, diamond gobies will cover anything on the sand bed.

I much prefer the Rainfords. They don’t cover corals with sand and IMO they look ALOT cooler than other gobies. Almost like a mini wrasse in their coloration patterns. I have 5 Rainfords in my 220.
I have a Pearly Jawfish in my 90 as well as a Hectors . The jawfish is like having a diamond goby a bit but fortunately only around his tunnel/cave.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

What are they mostly eating in the sand? Do the sort of soft it like Diamond’s or just pick at it?

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will sift if it's fine grains (like fiji pink) or just pick at a grain at a time if it's bigger (special grade). I understand they are hunting for microfauna and pods etc in the sand.

If you end up getting them both would love to hear if they do get along fine! I am interested in adding a cleaner goby to mine.

bambooshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine. 50gal is big enough. If you want a diamon/sand sifter goby, you definitely shouldn't have a coral on the sand. They will shift it a ton.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only if you don’t want corals sitting on the sand ….they’re prodigious movers of sand.

Luckily I don’t have any corals on the sand that aren’t up a little bit but seems like I’ll just start with the rainfords and go from there.

I’m trying to do all captive bred as well! Where did you find the possum wrasse?
Nice!! And okay that one is technically a cheat because it came from a friends system they took down

Back