Anyone know what this is? If so, anyway I can treat in tank? IMG_0603.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like skin irritation which may develop into either bacterial infection or even mucus cones. Please repost pic but under bright white lighting for best identification
Is copperband eating ? Looks slightly thin

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here you go. Yes, both of my copper bands eat.
IMG_0612.jpeg
Appears to be a bacterial infection which will require a broad-spectrum antibiotic such as Seachem Kanaplex, in a sterile and separate quarantine tank with added aeration.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it the only fish showing symptoms?
Did it show up all at once, or gradually over days?

It may be mucus from getting scraped, of it could be bacterial.

If it is bacterial, there really is no good in-tank treatment, and moving a big PBT to a treatment tank is risky.

I agree, the copperband is a bit thin.

OP
OP
jduong916

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked like he scraped himself about a week and a half ago. The scrape was circular about the size of a 50 cent piece. Now it looks it looks like it spread but just like the edge of the circle.

OP
OP
jduong916

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the fish seem fine. I think it happened overnight, It looked like he scraped himself about a week and a half ago. The scrape was circular about the size of a 50 cent piece. Now it looks it looks like it spread but just like the edge of injury.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the fish seem fine. I think it happened overnight, It looked like he scraped himself about a week and a half ago. The scrape was circular about the size of a 50 cent piece. Now it looks it looks like it spread but just like the edge of injury.

If the fish has no other symptoms, I'd be inclined to just watch it for now (maybe set up a QT for it, just to be pro-active). Moving that fish into a smaller QT is going to be really risky.

OP
OP
jduong916

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish has no other symptoms, I'd be inclined to just watch it for now (maybe set up a QT for it, just to be pro-active). Moving that fish into a smaller QT is going to be really risky.
Sounds good, I'll keep monitoring. The PBT is eating and swimming fine, I can tell the injured side is bugging him though. He tries to scratch that side every now and again.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I'll keep monitoring. The PBT is eating and swimming fine, I can tell the injured side is bugging him though. He tries to scratch that side every now and again.

If it is scratching/flashing, this could be flukes. You might want to look into a Prazipro treatment.

Back