Do you know your local Reef Bud's???

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I AM SORT OF NEW TO THIS GROUP!! I LIVE over in THE Seminole area which is about a mile or so from Madeira Beach for those who never heard of Seminole.. I have been a marine aquarist for over 20 years.

I am in the process of building my custom rimless SCA 150 and will be running a bean animal type system so I went the 20'' Synergy External Overflow box. It will be mainly be an SPS dominate tank. I have been designed this system for over a year now and I am now finally getting real close to the fishline. I just need to break down and sell my current 120 reef ready tank , stand & canopy... Also, if anyone is looking for Ultra Premium live rock around 50 pounds worth + Fish and Coral just PM me since this is not the place to sell things but I just wanted to give my group a chance first before I list in in the proper area on reef2reef.

For all you wondering how I came up with my screen name, well I will quickly tell you! Here is the Original Article from Nov 25 1992 when it was called the Saint Pete Times. On the morning Nov 25 1992, my buddy and I went surfing on the East coast of FL. We always would go to place called Sebastian inlet which is kind by New Smyrna Beach since the wave break a lot better than most places. Anyways, the shark grabbed my right arm and started to pull me under on the water but it let go ones my head went underwater. remember we were in about 200 ft of water and out on the 3rd break which is about 50 yard from shore. I really did not understand what was happening until my best friend yelled SHARK. I never saw the attack coming, it happened super fast and in a matter of seconds and it was over. All I can remember is my buddy yelling shark and me jumping back on my surf board after the shark attacked me.. I could not paddle in do to the nasty lacerations to my right hand, arm and my fingers were mangled pretty bad, so my buddy came over and helped me back in shore. My buddy saw the hole thing go down and he told me he say the shark come straight up and nail and said that the shark tale was flapping in the air when he launched himself at me. It was confirmed to be a 6ft Shark , either a baby bull or tigger or a black tip shark which almost took off three fingers and the shark left 2 teeth in my hand where i have to have them surgically removed. After over 100 stitches and after 2 surgeries I still surf and a big time diver. i RESPECT these amazing creatures with have in our oceans and have a total different out look on sharks and there behaviors.

What really crazy is there were only 12 attacks in 1992 in the State of FL and I was one of them unfortunately...
and yes, I still dive wrecks and reefs all over the world and I still surf every now and then. After i was attacked and started view these amazing creatures underwater when i was diving b/c to me they are so fascinating since

"SAVE OUR SHARKS"
As these apex predators, sharks play an important role in the ecosystem by maintaining the species below them in the food chain and serving as an indicator for ocean health.
They help remove the weak and the sick as well as keeping the balance with competitors helping to ensure species diversity.

Shark Attack 1992.jpg

Last edited:

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have been an avid aquarium hobbyist that has spent almost the entirety of my life fully immersed in the aquarium industry. From working as an aquarium service technician in my local aquarium shop and freelancing for customers on the side I built up a nice little client base doing maintenances and water changes for my clients that just did not want to deal with which in opinion, thats the FUN part... With that being said I took that experience with me and started my adventure into reef keeping in 1992 when I got my first 120 gallon Reef ready tank. I have always had a love & passion for the ocean and it's inhabitants, since I was born and raised right on the water my entire life over in the Redington Beach area. I have had the privilege of diving on some of the most beautiful shipwrecks & reefs around the world and really getting a chance to view these corals & fish in their natural environment which only drew me into the hobby even more... I am in the process of doing another upgrade so I went with a SCA Rimless 150 with an Synergy EXTERNAL Overflow box with 3 1.5inch drains and 1'' returns. I have been designing this new system for over a year now and it's finally starting to come togerther.

***Does anyone need any old school Tonga Branch live rock or any Ultra Premium Fiji live rock as well. I have small, medium and large pcs available. The rock is fully cured and covered in Coraline algae and has been under water for the last 12 years***

Hit me up and I will send you some pictures, also have coral and fish for sale since I am trying to break down my 120. I would keep everything but i DON'T have a good home for all of my lps , sps corals so I have to sell them as well...

Custom rimless SCA 150.jpg

AI LEDS.jpg

P4&MaxiSA.JPG

Last edited:

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when I first got into the hobby back in 2006 my first saltwater tank was a 40G Breeder purchase at West Point Academy. I had no clue of what I was doing! My water change was water straight out from the faucet, mixed salt and added into the DT. Yes, I had no RODI system! My livestock was 3 hippos, 1 yellow tang, 1 blonde naso tang, and a few more fish in a 40 breeder. Ammonia was up the roof! I went to the LFS to buy a fish or corals, and never an associate or owner would ask me, "What size is your tank"? There's was No reason to ask as long as I was spending money. So one-day I google saltwater hobby, read about forums, related clubs. This was so beneficial a place to get advice, learn and meet people. After I joined my first forum, I went to club members homes, got advice, brought corals or fish, and equipment. Immediately I upgrade and learned how to understand the responsibilities of maintaining a saltwater aquarium. I love this hobby, and never took a break, even with 2 crashes due to power outage and hurricanes.

So my question is how many of us members here know your local reef buds? The benefits to know what your local reef buds has in his or her tanks. Get involved in local trades, sell or buy! Help each other with tank issue, example; if a local reef bud tank sprung a leak and need to burrow a tank, or someone to hold there livestock, or help in moving. Perhaps give advice on which LFS to buy from, who's good and who's bad. Where are the deals! Get to know your "Local Reef Buds", here on R2R.

Find out how many members here live Florida! Hello Floridian Local Reef Buds, tell us where you reside what city?

I'm floridian as well in Temple Terrace! I wish there where like a club or something who knows.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have been an avid aquarium hobbyist that has spent almost the entirety of my life fully immersed in the aquarium industry. From working as an aquarium service technician in my local aquarium shop and freelancing for customers on the side I built up a nice little client base doing maintenances and water changes for my clients that just did not want to deal with which in opinion, thats the FUN part... With that being said I took that experience with me and started my adventure into reef keeping in 1992 when I got my first 120 gallon Reef ready tank. I have always had a love & passion for the ocean and it's inhabitants, since I was born and raised right on the water my entire life over in the Redington Beach area. I have had the privilege of diving on some of the most beautiful shipwrecks & reefs around the world and really getting a chance to view these corals & fish in their natural environment which only drew me into the hobby even more... I am in the process of doing another upgrade so I went with a SCA Rimless 150 with an Synergy EXTERNAL Overflow box with 3 1.5inch drains and 1'' returns. I have been designing this new system for over a year now and it's finally starting to come togerther.

***Does anyone need any old school Tonga Branch live rock or any Ultra Premium Fiji live rock as well. I have small, medium and large pcs available. The rock is fully cured and covered in Coraline algae and has been under water for the last 12 years***

Hit me up and I will send you some pictures, also have coral and fish for sale since I am trying to break down my 120. I would keep everything but i DON'T have a good home for all of my lps , sps corals so I have to sell them as well...

Custom rimless SCA 150.jpg

AI LEDS.jpg

P4&MaxiSA.JPG

Total long shot, but do you happen to have any tonga still?

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I AM SORT OF NEW TO THIS GROUP!! I LIVE over in THE Seminole area which is about a mile or so from Madeira Beach for those who never heard of Seminole.. I have been a marine aquarist for over 20 years.

I am in the process of building my custom rimless SCA 150 and will be running a bean animal type system so I went the 20'' Synergy External Overflow box. It will be mainly be an SPS dominate tank. I have been designed this system for over a year now and I am now finally getting real close to the fishline. I just need to break down and sell my current 120 reef ready tank , stand & canopy... Also, if anyone is looking for Ultra Premium live rock around 50 pounds worth + Fish and Coral just PM me since this is not the place to sell things but I just wanted to give my group a chance first before I list in in the proper area on reef2reef.

For all you wondering how I came up with my screen name, well I will quickly tell you! Here is the Original Article from Nov 25 1992 when it was called the Saint Pete Times. On the morning Nov 25 1992, my buddy and I went surfing on the East coast of FL. We always would go to place called Sebastian inlet which is kind by New Smyrna Beach since the wave break a lot better than most places. Anyways, the shark grabbed my right arm and started to pull me under on the water but it let go ones my head went underwater. remember we were in about 200 ft of water and out on the 3rd break which is about 50 yard from shore. I really did not understand what was happening until my best friend yelled SHARK. I never saw the attack coming, it happened super fast and in a matter of seconds and it was over. All I can remember is my buddy yelling shark and me jumping back on my surf board after the shark attacked me.. I could not paddle in do to the nasty lacerations to my right hand, arm and my fingers were mangled pretty bad, so my buddy came over and helped me back in shore. My buddy saw the hole thing go down and he told me he say the shark come straight up and nail and said that the shark tale was flapping in the air when he launched himself at me. It was confirmed to be a 6ft Shark , either a baby bull or tigger or a black tip shark which almost took off three fingers and the shark left 2 teeth in my hand where i have to have them surgically removed. After over 100 stitches and after 2 surgeries I still surf and a big time diver. i RESPECT these amazing creatures with have in our oceans and have a total different out look on sharks and there behaviors.

What really crazy is there were only 12 attacks in 1992 in the State of FL and I was one of them unfortunately...
and yes, I still dive wrecks and reefs all over the world and I still surf every now and then. After i was attacked and started view these amazing creatures underwater when i was diving b/c to me they are so fascinating since

"SAVE OUR SHARKS"
As these apex predators, sharks play an important role in the ecosystem by maintaining the species below them in the food chain and serving as an indicator for ocean health.
They help remove the weak and the sick as well as keeping the balance with competitors helping to ensure species diversity.

Shark Attack 1992.jpg
I'm glad you have respect for them and called them amazing but no thank you, I love Florida and I love the sea and the beach but always nervous about this creatures, I'm glad you recover and thank you for share you story I really enjoyed , not the attack but how you survive and still love this sharks

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Tampa near the Airport, I used to work at SeaLife in Saint Pete a year or two ago so Im sure I have met some users on here while working there.
Hey thats one of my go to places since I'm only 10 minutes from them.

UFreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a ton of really nice SPS available and bounce mushrooms too if anyone local is looking

Back