Dog faced puffer - is this normal?

brianhama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dog face puffer has been spending a lot of time resting on or between rocks. Now he’s resting face downwards in a corner of the tank. Is this normal behavior or is something wrong?

He had ich when I bought him and has spent most of his time with me in quarantine, so I’m not too familiar with what his behavior is like in a normal tank.

IMG_3393.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My dog face puffer has been spending a lot of time resting on or between rocks. Now he’s resting face downwards in a corner of the tank. Is this normal behavior or is something wrong?

He had ich when I bought him and has spent most of his time with me in quarantine, so I’m not too familiar with what his behavior is like in a normal tank.

IMG_3393.jpeg

IMG_3393.jpeg
I understand the puffer is not happy but needed will be clearer pics of fish showing skin and body in lieu of top view.
Is fish breathing normal or labored?
Additionally, has it eaten recently?
What is ammonia and nitrate level and is this a new/newer tank?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand the puffer is not happy but needed will be clearer pics of fish showing skin and body in lieu of top view.
Is fish breathing normal or labored?
Additionally, has it eaten recently?
What is ammonia and nitrate level and is this a new/newer tank?
And is this happening all the time? Only during the day? How active is he? They will sleep in the rock during the day but if he’s not active/swimming when you walk up to the tank or at night something may be wrong.

OP
OP
brianhama

brianhama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank levels are fine. Tank is a few months old, but fully cycled. My old tank started leaking so I had to replace it, but I kept the old rocks and sump.

He has been doing this about 50% of the time. Other times he swims around the tank normally. He is breathing fine and eating. I wasn’t really paying attention to if it happens more during the day or at night. Are they nocturnal? It’s a relief to hear that they sleep in the rocks though. Hopefully this is just normal behavior for them then.

Back