Ethics

ethans_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do we source or animals from dealers who do not contribute to the destruction of natural habitats? Is it ethical to even keep fish? How do you be an ethical aquarist?

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is how do you define ethics and what is ethical?

Ethics is fundamentally a human construct, a social contract that we voluntarily agree to abide by. Shared values on what is right or wrong, and what is and isn't ethical varies from culture to culture, religion to religion, person to person.

Something one learns quickly studying nature, is that ethics do not exist there. Predators eat prey alive, lower lifeforms use higher lifeforms as walking incubators and nurseries, or even make their homes in them.

To me what is ethical in the context of the hobby is to strive to avoid causing unnecessary harm. Habitat destruction and unsustainable practices benefits no one. When It comes to corals, i prefer to buy maricultured whenever possible, which incentivizes responsible stewardship of the reefs.

As for the ethics of keeping fish? Every day in the wild is a battle for survival and unless the fish is an apex predator, it will most likely meet its end in the jaws of one. I won't throw out the clichéd excuse of "we offer them a better life", but I do believe what we offer aquarium fish is "no worse" than what they face in the wild.

At the end of the day we are the dominant species on this planet, be it by the grace of god or by evolution.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said, @Alexraptor.

I would only add that I think I have heard it said that; "If you have to ask then you can't afford it," but maybe I'm getting that confused with another subject?

Admittedly, ethics were never my strong suit and yet lately I keep hearing about how my lifestyle is really an abomination to so many folk who have gotten an itch for saving the planet and the only way for them to scratch that itch is for me to give up something I like or commonly enjoy? Then I get informed that I'm just too greedy if I won't go along with this or that planetary salvation scheme. It's getting weird like this more and more each day.

the rolling stones GIF
Soon we'll all be like Charlie and then we'll know for sure. :dizzy-face::smiling-face-with-halo:

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the more sustainable you can make the hobby, the better. Captive bred fish, captive fragged corals, and using LED’s all help. I also think taking the best care you can of the creatures you take responsibility for factors in.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Ethics are my strong suit, and my "weakness". There are a few places to buy captive raised fish and aquacultured coral and inverts. ORA and Biota have captive raised species, and contribute to preserving wildlife. Also, buying from local reefers who breed fish and aquaculture coral is an option too.

Captain-Barnacle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever wrongs Aquarists have committed on their Path to Knowledge, they can give back and become heroes of Ocean Action, to preserve and enhance what is so critically endangered.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do we source or animals from dealers who do not contribute to the destruction of natural habitats? Is it ethical to even keep fish? How do you be an ethical aquarist?

Although this is an older thread, I wanted to weigh in. Think of it as a continuum:

Animal Exploitation
to
Animal Welfare / Regulated use
to
Animal Rights / Non-use

Sustainability is closely tied to human ethics. Increased sustainability implies fewer ethical issues. Here is a link to an article I wrote on sustainability:

Jay

Back