FIRST (actual first)

Capro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im planning on my first reef tank, im on a budget of like maybe 2k-3k MYR which should be around 400-500 USD, i got a fluval flex 15 running as a fresh tank and i wanted yall's opinion. Should i get a 40g breeder, buy the equipment needed as in filters (HOB . Skimmer ) , lights, ATO, heater, etc, OR should i just convert my fluval flex right now. All i need is lights, heater, maybe some type of small filter to add and a heater, i already got a powerhead. Pls let me know if u have any suggestions on equipment for my budget and any tips. Im still stressing on the stuff i need at the side as in RODI, the kits, sand and live rock, the salt so im kind of intimated at the moment. Thanks!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it will be tought to stick to that budget to properly set up a 40 breeder. Let's budget it out, as I'm not familiar with prices in your area:

In either case, you need:
salt
saltwater test kit
refractometer
rock/live rock
sand (or not, this is preference)
source of purified or ro/di water
appropriate filter media
ATO
skimmer (optional in my experience)
fish & livestock
patience :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

for 40 breeder you need:
tank
stand
filter
lighting, price dependent on your intended inhabitants
heater (100 watt min)
flow (I don't believe the powerhead you have in your 15g will suffice for a 40g if you want corals)

for fluval convert you need:

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford to do so, I’d say go with the 40 gallon. Ironically it’ll be easier to manage in the long run as nanos can be subject to fluctuations in parameters and such a lot easier. Also you open yourself to more option for stocking .

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
convert the existing tank. The budget is not enough for lights on a 40.

Even for a 15 gallon, the light and ATO will take most of your budget, not leaving you much for testing equipment, salt, rodi machine, sand rocks.....

OP
OP
C

Capro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
convert the existing tank. The budget is not enough for lights on a 40.

Even for a 15 gallon, the light and ATO will take most of your budget, not leaving you much for testing equipment, salt, rodi machine, sand rocks.....
i think i can go a lil bit more for lights, since i keep hearing people say just invest in the lights

OP
OP
C

Capro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it will be tought to stick to that budget to properly set up a 40 breeder. Let's budget it out, as I'm not familiar with prices in your area:

In either case, you need:
salt
saltwater test kit
refractometer
rock/live rock
sand (or not, this is preference)
source of purified or ro/di water
appropriate filter media
ATO
skimmer (optional in my experience)
fish & livestock
patience :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

for 40 breeder you need:
tank
stand
filter
heater (100 watt min)
flow (I don't believe the powerhead you have in your 15g will suffice for a 40g if you want corals)

for fluval convert you need:
what kind of filter would u say i need for the 40? HOB and skimmers? or would i need a full sump (tryna avoid that)

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of filter would u say i need for the 40? HOB and skimmers? or would i need a full sump (tryna avoid that)
A sump takes a bit more effort to set up but ultimately makes your life easier in the end (place to hide equipment, ATO, more water volume for stability, more room for various filter media…) if you have the budget and time. If you’re sure you want a HOB filter, I can heartily recommend Hagen Aquaclear filters. You’ll probably want their largest size for 40-70 gallon tanks.

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u mind if i see a couple pictures man?
And yes, it’s Bikini Bottom LOL
I figured why does a QT need to be boring.

Currently housing 3 PJs, 3 weeks into their copper treatment.

Once I fully stock my DT, I’ll yank out all the Sponge Bob plastic crap and add live rock and aggregate. Maybe keep a single clown and some fun inverts.

Attachments

• IMG_4339.jpeg
    IMG_4339.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
C

Capro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sump takes a bit more effort to set up but ultimately makes your life easier in the end (place to hide equipment, ATO, more water volume for stability, more room for various filter media…) if you have the budget and time. If you’re sure you want a HOB filter, I can heartily recommend Hagen Aquaclear filters. You’ll probably want their largest size for 40-70 gallon tanks.
Do u think i could make my fluval a sump for the 40 gallon? Tho a reason im tryna avoid it is because i got no idea how to do the plumbing, im tryna study it but i cant find any source on how to get water in the sump and back out

OP
OP
C

Capro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, it’s Bikini Bottom LOL
I figured why does a QT need to be boring.

Currently housing 3 PJs, 3 weeks into their copper treatment.

Once I fully stock my DT, I’ll yank out all the Sponge Bob plastic crap and add live rock and aggregate. Maybe keep a single clown and some fun inverts.
Is there any nice and kind of cheap lights for lps and softies for the fluval? I dont think ill be going for the ai prime or the kessil

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that would work well, since the flu Al flex has a curves front. You really want a standard rectangular tank for a sump build. I standard 10 gallon would work great for a sump for a 40. Check out my build thread if you want some ideas for building your own sump, including plumbing.
Do u think i could make my fluval a sump for the 40 gallon? Tho a reason im tryna avoid it is because i got no idea how to do the plumbing, im tryna study it but i cant find any source on how to get water in the sump and back out

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any nice and kind of cheap lights for lps and softies for the fluval? I dont think ill be going for the ai prime or the kessil
The Noopsyche k7 mini would be perfect for the fluval; it generally runs about 85 USD. If you’re sure you only want LPS and softies, it will be more than sufficient.

OP
OP
C

Capro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that would work well, since the flu Al flex has a curves front. You really want a standard rectangular tank for a sump build. I standard 10 gallon would work great for a sump for a 40. Check out my build thread if you want some ideas for building your own sump, including plumbing.
Ightt thx man

Back