Greedy copperband Vs clam

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a beautiful derasa clam from AAC at the love2reef event over weekend despite knowing my copperband was a risk.

He's a fairly voracious feeder & ironically the toughest most robust fresh or saltwater fish I own.
Go figure

So after 4 days of ignoring the clam he's now been spotted picking at it.
Ugh.

In the spirit of enterprising optimism I'm wondering if there's a compromise here.
A DIY hack of such cunning that both could live alongside happily.
Maybe some netting or a glass "display box" within tank to show off the clam.
Sure it will grow to possibly 2 feet but we will cross that bivalveian bridge when come to it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome!

PXL_20240518_153444579.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently put a pair of clownfish and an anemone in a SHU Acclimation Box from Octo Aquatics. The clownfish were crowded (I added melamine sponges to absorb space) and waited. The fish refused to enter the anemone and after many months I gave up because the box is for short term acclimation, and great for that purpose. Having it exposed to light and water long term became difficult because it required regular cleaning to keep the algae at bay. I think an acrylic box would be fantastic if you don't mind moving the clam and box weekly to clean off the growth.

A large mesh box could also work to keep the the clam out of reach but it would also require maintenance to keep fouling organisms off of it. A divider, same issue but may be more serviceable for a long term solution.

Otherwise just let the Copperband have a nice, expensive meal and you will still have a nice shell.

OP
OP
Aquariumaddictuk

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe give the clam to a friend and go over to visit it from time to time.
That's an option.i have a couple guys who are local that will trade for some corals but I think I'll get some polycarb and build a box.cleaning will be a pain mind you

Back