Greetings from the Gulf Coast! Lights may be the most confusing thing so far for this begginer.

OP
OP
kingranch2003

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both apps are simple and easy to use. My old 80 growout running 4 xr15 gen 5 blue.
I will be using the radions on a ext 50 frag system. My current display runs 2 Photon 50's.
20230511_092350.jpg
I love the aesthetic of the xr15. That looks so good. Probably the best looking unit/fixture of them all in my opinion.

OP
OP
kingranch2003

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I own all sorts of lights now at this point. Kessil A80, AI prime 16HD, NICREW 50, FLUVAL marine nano, noopsyche K7.
Hands down for the costs and functionality. Noopsyche K7 wins for me.
That is definitely what I'm hearing. Wow you've definitely had some to compare it to. Do you find the app workable? The price for this light is unbelievable. Is this the model you recommend for my tank size? 21.7"(L) x 21.7"(W) x 21.7"(H)

Dragen Fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitely what I'm hearing. Wow you've definitely had some to compare it to. Do you find the app workable? The price for this light is unbelievable. Is this the model you recommend for my tank size? 21.7"(L) x 21.7"(W) x 21.7"(H)

I'm using the the K7 minis on 15G 15x15x15 and 12G shallow 20x20x7. The pro III will be way more than enough if you decide on SPS in the future. I have the shallow tank set at max 45% and the 15G set at 60%.

This is my big boy all the way in the corner of the tank. Light was around 20% as it was 7pm.

Or you could buy 2 mini's instead. This way you can spread the light better.

One of these days I'll buy an orange filter lens lol.

IMG_0336.jpg

OP
OP
kingranch2003

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the the K7 minis on 15G 15x15x15 and 12G shallow 20x20x7. The pro III will be way more than enough if you decide on SPS in the future. I have the shallow tank set at max 45% and the 15G set at 60%.

This is my big boy all the way in the corner of the tank. Light was around 20% as it was 7pm.

Or you could buy 2 mini's instead. This way you can spread the light better.

One of these days I'll buy an orange filter lens lol.

IMG_0336.jpg
That is a killer coral! Is that a fungia? That blue is insane lol. Great idea about the Minis. I may get a more even par that way.

Dragen Fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a killer coral! Is that a fungia? That blue is insane lol. Great idea about the Minis. I may get a more even par that way.
A toss up between a Fungia or Lithophyllon based off what others have chimed in on. But I'm thinking its for sure a litho because I have a frag that is identical but its purple and blue. I'm now on a buying spree for these lol.

OP
OP
kingranch2003

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A toss up between a Fungia or Lithophyllon based off what others have chimed in on. But I'm thinking its for sure a litho because I have a frag that is identical but its purple and blue. I'm now on a buying spree for these lol.
Lol yeah don't go by my guess. Either way, that is a banger coral. I have a couple corals I want a million of, and I don't even have coral yet. (Still cycling)

TheReefPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the response. It seems that those two are the top choice for me right now. Do you like the app for the radion (assuming there is one) as much as the AI?
Both apps are pretty similar, with the exception of the presets that come with the ecotech (mainly AB+), but you can mimic those settings on the AI.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of people pushing lights in this thread that I consider bad choices. This is my opinion I am posting, ok. Most lights listed boast a 24inch x 24inch foot print of coverage.

Value in Light is important to me, I want the best bang for my buck. Here is a chart with most Major Brands of lights, the cost of the light, wattage, cost per watt, with a breakdown of the types of Light Diodes.

Uno2pro_comparison_chart-2048x681.jpg

Next thing to consider is spectrum, How well will those lights grow coral?

Uno2_vs_Uno_vs_XR30G6_spectrum-2048x1537.jpg

The last thing I look for is WARRANTY and CUSTOMER SERVICE. You will not find better. 3 yr warranty, and Daniel Lu provides the best customer service I have ever seen, for any product! go see for yourself if you have facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/ReeFiLove

web site; https://www.reefi-lab.com/
Did I mention these lights cost about HALF as much as the leading brands?

I run 4 of these lights on top of a 8ft 300g display growing everything in a mixed reef using the 90degree (Default installed) Reef-flectors. Here is my Light Profile so you can see I am barely using any of the 270watts available and I am getting 100par on the sand in 27inches of water, lights hung 13 inches above water line.

reefi.jpg

My Tank. 5-11-24
may1124.jpg

What ever ya choose I wish you luck in Reefing!

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blades are a good first light I have one on a similarly sized tank 21" blade grow. It did fine for my lps corals. Ideally you would probably want 2-3 blades for the best color and coverage. Going with 3 I would get 2 grow and a glow.

My current reef (upgrade) is 28"x28"x24". I am using a single Reefi uno 2.0 pro. This is a great light that will not leave you wanting for power, looks or ability. I am running the 120 reflector and it covers the entire tank no issues. I am running it at 124w I have a nice blanket of light in the 150-200 par across the area of most of my euphyllia at about 10" up from the sand, At the sand bed its 90-110 par.

Kessils are also great lights. You will not beat the shimmer from a kessil with any other led light. 1 360xe will work for your tank. To run programs you will need a wifi dongle or a spectral controller.

As corals grow and fill in they will shade themselves and other corals regardless of the light you choose more "planes" of light will be needed. The only option from above that has that from the start is the blades. Do i think you should go that route not necessarily but its a good option. I am newer to led lighting myself but not reef keeping or lighting in general. The shading has almost always been an issue and more lights is usually the answer. If I knew your tank was the tank I would have for a long time I would probably go the kessil route and in the future add a blade in front and behind the kessil. I am not you though and I knew that the tank with a blade on it was my easing myself back into the hobby after 15 years. I had my current tank waiting and another 180g waiting for the next upgrade. So when I went with reefi I was looking for a great light at a great price that I could move to the 180 and get a few more to cover that without racking up a $5000 lighting purchase. The reefi's will definitely be my main lighting for the 180. Will I supplement with more reefis or blades or some other bar type light unsure at this time. But, I know I will need to at some point.

OP
OP
kingranch2003

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blades are a good first light I have one on a similarly sized tank 21" blade grow. It did fine for my lps corals. Ideally you would probably want 2-3 blades for the best color and coverage. Going with 3 I would get 2 grow and a glow.

My current reef (upgrade) is 28"x28"x24". I am using a single Reefi uno 2.0 pro. This is a great light that will not leave you wanting for power, looks or ability. I am running the 120 reflector and it covers the entire tank no issues. I am running it at 124w I have a nice blanket of light in the 150-200 par across the area of most of my euphyllia at about 10" up from the sand, At the sand bed its 90-110 par.

Kessils are also great lights. You will not beat the shimmer from a kessil with any other led light. 1 360xe will work for your tank. To run programs you will need a wifi dongle or a spectral controller.

As corals grow and fill in they will shade themselves and other corals regardless of the light you choose more "planes" of light will be needed. The only option from above that has that from the start is the blades. Do i think you should go that route not necessarily but its a good option. I am newer to led lighting myself but not reef keeping or lighting in general. The shading has almost always been an issue and more lights is usually the answer. If I knew your tank was the tank I would have for a long time I would probably go the kessil route and in the future add a blade in front and behind the kessil. I am not you though and I knew that the tank with a blade on it was my easing myself back into the hobby after 15 years. I had my current tank waiting and another 180g waiting for the next upgrade. So when I went with reefi I was looking for a great light at a great price that I could move to the 180 and get a few more to cover that without racking up a $5000 lighting purchase. The reefi's will definitely be my main lighting for the 180. Will I supplement with more reefis or blades or some other bar type light unsure at this time. But, I know I will need to at some point.
Fantastic response! It is very easy to forget about shading when you're just starting out. Those par numbers are exactly what I'm shooting for! It sounds like I need to take another look at the blades for either a primary option or as filler! I really appreciate your reply.

OP
OP
kingranch2003

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of people pushing lights in this thread that I consider bad choices. This is my opinion I am posting, ok. Most lights listed boast a 24inch x 24inch foot print of coverage.

Value in Light is important to me, I want the best bang for my buck. Here is a chart with most Major Brands of lights, the cost of the light, wattage, cost per watt, with a breakdown of the types of Light Diodes.

Uno2pro_comparison_chart-2048x681.jpg

Next thing to consider is spectrum, How well will those lights grow coral?

Uno2_vs_Uno_vs_XR30G6_spectrum-2048x1537.jpg

The last thing I look for is WARRANTY and CUSTOMER SERVICE. You will not find better. 3 yr warranty, and Daniel Lu provides the best customer service I have ever seen, for any product! go see for yourself if you have facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/ReeFiLove

web site; https://www.reefi-lab.com/
Did I mention these lights cost about HALF as much as the leading brands?

I run 4 of these lights on top of a 8ft 300g display growing everything in a mixed reef using the 90degree (Default installed) Reef-flectors. Here is my Light Profile so you can see I am barely using any of the 270watts available and I am getting 100par on the sand in 27inches of water, lights hung 13 inches above water line.

reefi.jpg

My Tank. 5-11-24
may1124.jpg

What ever ya choose I wish you luck in Reefing!
Woah, now this is a game changer. I definitely need to check this light out! @twentyleagues just recommended this light as well. Super cool of you to post these settings for us all to see. Let me take a look at this. Thank you for the great advice and the well wishes my friend. Your reef is very inspiring to a newbie

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah, now this is a game changer. I definitely need to check this light out! @twentyleagues just recommended this light as well. Super cool of you to post these settings for us all to see. Let me take a look at this. Thank you for the great advice and the well wishes my friend. Your reef is very inspiring to a newbie
Thank you for the compliments!!!

Back