How to lower salinity?

clownaround4giggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the only way to add more and more Rodi or is there a simpler way? My salinity is really high yet everything seems to be fine so idk I’d like to lower it just in case

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the only way to add more and more Rodi or is there a simpler way? My salinity is really high yet everything seems to be fine so idk I’d like to lower it just in case
How high? I would recommend just adding more RO/DI not that hard.

mattrob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding RODI is the way I would do it, if there is anything in the tank do it slowly, if not just go for it making sure to mix it well before testing again

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he meant add fresh RODI water. not adding anymore salt. I could be wrong but idk
Not sure why everyone keeps saying add, it’s not add it’s REPLACE. If you want to lower your salinity, and assuming you maintain the same water heights in sump/tank, remove water from your system and add fresh RO/DI water. Do it in small amounts, not more than say .002SG equivalent.

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why everyone keeps saying add, it’s not add it’s REPLACE. If you want to lower your salinity, and assuming you maintain the same water heights in sump/tank, remove water from your system and add fresh RO/DI water. Do it in small amounts, not more than say .002SG equivalent.
Oh just didn't get what u were saying. You are correct but I'm guessing this is what he meant. But +1 to the small amounts

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I think people are getting confused with evaporation.

Check to make sure no evaporation has occurred, if it has, top off the necessary amount of RODI water. If you see your water levels are the same, then replace tank water for RODI. Do you have livestock in the tank?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove 1% of tank volume and replace with fresh water either via ato or manually every day. Check salinity every week until you are at 1.026 s.g.
It should take about 19 days from 1.033sg.

Edit 19 not 27 days

Last edited:
OP
OP
clownaround4giggles

clownaround4giggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I think people are getting confused with evaporation.

Check to make sure no evaporation has occurred, if it has, top off the necessary amount of RODI water. If you see your water levels are the same, then replace tank water for RODI. Do you have livestock in the tank?
yes it’s a pretty stocked tank (fluval Evo 13.5)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it happened suddenly after a water change, but idk how
I expect your new saltwater was mixed to a high salinity. Before changing anything, be sure your tank measurement is correct... properly calibrate whatever instrument you use and test again.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a quick calc here for you - https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/SaltwaterDilution.php - estimated 10 gal (could be less; you should calculate your real volume). To go from 1.033 sg to 1.026 sg you'd remove 1.12 cups of tank water, then add 1.12 cups of fresh RODI water to dilute. Pretty easy to correct in a small tank; this will be a big shift though so I would do a little today; run the calculator again tomorrow based on current salinity; wait a day, run it again based on that days salinity, until you get back in range. Don't move more than 0.003 in a day I think is a rough est for max

edit: oh and do this for sure ^^ calibrate

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backing up, how do you supplement calcium and alkalinity, if at all?
Thought someone had mentioned that and I was just commenting on the imbalance with trace. Perhaps I should have stated to practice the balling method to solve the dilution of salinity by exchanging tank water with fresh.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 170 73.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.3%
Back